Mac mail client gmail question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by wannabelean, Apr 28, 2014.

1. wannabelean macrumors 6502

Mar 18, 2009
    How do I disable the downloading of all mail? I would like to download email from only one folder/label from my gmail account.

2. BrianBaughn macrumors 603

Feb 13, 2011
    Baltimore, Maryland
    If you don't mind not seeing the other folders (labels) then you can go to your Gmail webmail and Settings>Labels and uncheck "Show in IMAP" for the folders you don't want.
  3. r0k macrumors 68040

Mar 3, 2008
    One thing I did was to "archive" older email in gmail. It's still searchable in the gmail web interface if I pick "all mail" instead of "inbox." Apple Mail on OSX, Airmail on OSX and Mail on my iPhone and iPad work MUCH better with my email over 1 year old archived. At first I liked having search bring up stuff from 2001, but I began to realize I almost never needed anything more than a few months old and when I did, I didn't mind going to gmail web interface to find it.

Thanks for this tip. I looked and indeed it is there under settings. I might have gotten away with simply unchecking "show in IMAP" for labels I had put on older mail. For now, using gmail's "archive" feature has improved gmail performance on every platform I use, but I'll keep this method in mind as well.
  4. wannabelean thread starter macrumors 6502

Mar 18, 2009
    This works. Thank you BrianBaughn