Mac Mail constantly disconnects from gmail, unable to update password?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sou1 so1di3r, Apr 15, 2019.

1. sou1 so1di3r macrumors 6502a

sou1 so1di3r

I have been using my same gmail account for over a decade now. Always in Mac Mail... never had issues, but recently it just stopped connecting.

This icon shows, which you can click, and everything updates. Until the next time I open my MacBook.

upload_2019-4-15_9-21-12.png

Connection doctor says no issues with my account (once connected manually).

I have removed my account from "Internet Accounts" twice. Neither time has it resolved the issue.

I have no idea how to fix and this is very annoying. I suspect it has an old password cached somewhere but both times I added the account back it brought me to gmail (through MacOS) and I added the account, 2FA approved, everything.

This account is on my iPhone and works fine.

2. jazzer15, Apr 15, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2019

jazzer15 macrumors 6502

I am having a similar problem and came here to see if anyone had a solution. This is a very recent problem which I believe (but am not positive) may have started following my last update to Mojave 10.14.4. What OS are you running?

I don't believe this is a password issue. I have 3 Gmail accounts set up and all three are exhibiting the same behavior on my iMac (but not on my iPad or iPhone).

3. sou1 so1di3r thread starter macrumors 6502a

sou1 so1di3r

I am also on 10.14.4

4. jazzer15 macrumors 6502

OK. So maybe it does have something to do with the upgrade. It is extremely frustrating, but I haven't seen wide spread complaints about the problem (at least not yet), so I don't know how it will be resolved. Like you, I have deleted my accounts and set them up again to no avail. I'm at a loss.

5. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

Well I have had the problem as well. Sometimes it resolves (for awhile) if I quit the Mail app and sign into one of the mail setups directly via my browser, then log out, relaunch the Mail app and then it sometimes starts buying my Mac-supplied account credentials automatically again behind the scenes as expected... for awhile: "oh yeah, I remember you now... sort of."

I've experienced the issue under 10.14.4 with gmail accounts (imap setups) but also occasionally with some POP setups hosted by my net service provider. I've never experienced a refusal to connect to my iCloud mail setup for a credentials-based reason, so sometimes I'll temporarily forward mail to that account from one I'm having a credentials hassle with.

It's all very annoying because the recurrence of the problem seems to operate under some Murphy's law corollary of a less than random maximum inconvenience. Or is that just my tinfoil hat sliding off its peg again. When I'm just trying to get a 2FA high-five to log into a bank account or similar sensitive site, that's precisely not when I need Apple and a mail host to start saying to each other "gee i dunno, i dunno, i dunno if i ever even met you..." Ugh!

No clue why this is happening or why once it's resolved, the interface with Mail eventually reverts yet again to wanting username/password reconfirmation but then claims it can't validate the info when it's offered.

I have submitted feedback to Apple and surely I'm not alone on that, so I assume by now they must have assigned someone to try to replicate the issue and resolve it. Maybe that's a really big assumption.

6. Grmm01 macrumors newbie

Have the same issue but only with 1 of 2 google accounts (at least that what it shows at the moment. Seems to fix itself for a while if I close mail and reopen

7. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

Yeah when it goes south for me, it's sometimes just one or two of the accounts, and sometimes it's one or two of both the gmail setups and the POP accounts i have with my ISP. Doesn't seem to be any real rhyme or reason about which accounts are affected.

8. jazzer15 macrumors 6502

Well, I guess it's nice to know we aren't alone?
    If I quit mail and reopen it seems to fix the problem temporarily also.

9. imaccooper macrumors 6502

imaccooper

It is a bug in the latest Majove release, but it seems, last I looked anyway, that it wasn’t clear if this was google’s problem or apple’s. It has been documented in a few threads here and several threads across different support forums. Some users can’t get their accounts to work at all, others get the little icon but can get it working, and others have no issue. Unfortunately, we are just all waiting for a patch from Apple and/or Google.

10. SandboxGeneral Moderator emeritus

SandboxGeneral

I've been noticing this as well. I have my .Mac and a Gmail account in Mac Mail. It last for a few seconds once in a while then comes back.