Mac Mail doesn't receive Exchange Emails when offline

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by drichardson, Jun 22, 2009.

1. drichardson macrumors newbie

I have been on Microsoft Exchange for 6 years. Migrated from PC to Mac about a year ago. I started using Microsoft Entourage 8 because it supported Microsoft Exchange Server.

I was working, although periodically Entourage would lock up and I would have to re-sync the inbox. After finally getting fed up, I've decided to move to Mac Mail.

After some initial pains to setup the Exchange account settings, I finally have it "working". The only problem is that not all my email messages are sent to the Mac Mail client.

If I'm online with my Mac when the email hits the Exchange Server, I get the message. But if Mac Mail is not open, I won't get the message. I can confirm that the email hits the exchange server because I can see it in Outlook Web Access, and on my BlackBerry.

The only way I know how to get the emails into Mac Mail is by going into my blackberry, marking the emails as read, or un-read, while the Mac Mail client is open. If I do that, then Mac Mail will discover that these messages are in my Inbox and pull them into the Mac Mail client.

This is very frustrating as I have to keep track of which emails I received when Mac Mail was closed. If I walk between meetings for 2 minutes and I receive an email, I'll miss it in my client.

I'm using Mac Mail version 3.6 (935/935.3), on Mac OS X - 10.5.7.

I'm not sure what version of Microsoft Exchange I'm on as that is managed by my company IT department.

PLEASE HELP. (I'm installing Thunderbird now to see if I can get it working)

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

If your company has Outlook Web Access installed, then you can learn which version of Exchange it uses from OWA. This, however, is not your main problem.

Your main problem is that the setup of each Exchange server is unique. Only people who are familiar with your company's setup can give you any worthwhile technical assistance with your company's setup.

Only your IT staff can fix your problem. Have pizza delivered to their offices. Call them up, email them, or do something to deliver a message that clearly explains the problem. Ask really nicely to fix the problem. Maybe they will.

3. 3space macrumors newbie

Same problem

I have the exact same scenario and problem... I went back to Entourage last week... :(