Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gr8pics

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 20, 2008
I just got a new imac, with 10.14.2

I have a very annoying issue.
If i leave the inbox and fex view the junk mail folder, or search for a specific mail in the search field, the view of the inbox always ends up at the bottom where the oldest mail are after returning to the inbox, instead of the top where the most recent mails are.
It never was a problem on my old imac with 10.14

Any clue why this happens?

monokakata

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Ithaca, NY
I'm interested in this too. Mine is the reverse (I like newest at the bottom) but I think it's the same thing: it flips to the reverse of what you previously had. However, it doesn't always happen.

I'll pay more attention to what I was doing before it does it the next time.

Aha. I can make it happen at will, by sorted the "From" to alpha, and then clicking on "Date Received."

Last edited:

monokakata

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Ithaca, NY
I'm sorry. That wasn't my clearest post ever. As you probably know, a good first step in figuring out why something isn't working right is to figure out to make it happen at will, that is, learning how to force it.

So what I learned by experimenting goes like this:

1. I have the mail sorted by "Date Received," with newest at the bottom. This is the way I like it.

2. If I go to "From" and sort alphabetically (numerals at the top, z at the bottom) as I sometimes need to do, then

3. when I click on "Date Received" to return to what I had, that click causes "Date Received" to sort newest at top; it doesn't leave it the way it was before I sorted a different column.

What I think this means is that the Mac Mail programmers either deliberately or inadvertently linked the sort order specs for the columns. Change one, then when you go to sort another one, it sorts in the same order as the one you just changed.

HenryAZ

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2010
South Congress AZ
I'm sorry. That wasn't my clearest post ever. As you probably know, a good first step in figuring out why something isn't working right is to figure out to make it happen at will, that is, learning how to force it.

So what I learned by experimenting goes like this:

1. I have the mail sorted by "Date Received," with newest at the bottom. This is the way I like it.

2. If I go to "From" and sort alphabetically (numerals at the top, z at the bottom) as I sometimes need to do, then

3. when I click on "Date Received" to return to what I had, that click causes "Date Received" to sort newest at top; it doesn't leave it the way it was before I sorted a different column.

What I think this means is that the Mac Mail programmers either deliberately or inadvertently linked the sort order specs for the columns. Change one, then when you go to sort another one, it sorts in the same order as the one you just changed.
If you click on the "Date Received" (or any other column) a second time, if flip-flops the sort order, and does so each time you click it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.