Mac Mail, Gmail and Outlook

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mtnorange, Mar 16, 2009.

1. mtnorange macrumors newbie

I have a gmail account that i use as my primary email account. my office computer is a PC using Outlook and my personal computer is a Mac using Mac Mail for the email application. When i configured my MacMail account and receive emails on my mac they no longer come to my PC in Outlook. If i have my mac turned off or it's sleeping the new emails come to my PC just fine.

I'd like to have new emails in both places (Both on my mac and my office PC). What setting am i missing? is it a gmail setting or a outlook setting or a mac mail setting?

(I have enabled IMAP setting in gmail settings.)

thanks

2. InkMaster macrumors 6502a

Its one thing to have IMAP enabled, but do you have it configured on both machines to use IMAP rather then POP for your account? I'm asking because by default both Outlook and Mail.app set everything up for POP.

Open your Mail.app preferences, go to accounts, pick your account and verify that the incoming mail server is 'imap.gmail.com' rather then 'pop.gmail.com'. Do the same on your PC.

Let me know how it turns out.

3. ophastings macrumors newbie

This will help

I have the exact same situation you do. I use gmail for all my email. I use outlook to access it on my work PC, and Apples Mail to access on my personal mac (well, and now I have an iphone, but for that I use a mac). I made a blog post describing what I did (http://ophastings.com/2009/05/gmail-outlook-mac-mail-imap-and-a-wednesday-afternoon/), but the key resource for me was this article called "Achieving email bliss with IMAP, Gmail and Apple Mail" (http://db.tidbits.com/article/10253), which you should check out if you want to understand IMAP (and especially to use it with Mail).

I set the same thing up for my girlfriends mac, and it really works well!