Mac Mail having problems connecting to gmail

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by tirexstorm, Apr 2, 2009.

1. tirexstorm macrumors regular

I have used mac's mail program for years with my gmail account without a problem. In the last week it has randomly stopped connecting and the an hour or so later will work again.

There is an "!" next to my gmail account and when i click on it it says, "Unable to connect. There may be a problem with the mail server or network. Check the settings for account "gmail" or try again. The server error encountered was: Web login required (failure)"

I havent changed my password or setting with gmail recently. My iphone still gets the mail without a problem. And my other computer is having no problem either.

Any other suggestions?

2. Mugwumper macrumors regular

I don't think it's Mail.app

I see this behavior quite often, maybe once every 3 days - then it'll go
    for weeks with no issues. I've always assumed it's the Gmail servers
    and/or being on the tail-end of a cable Internet loop (Comcast).

Who's your Internet provider?

Mugwumper

3. tirexstorm thread starter macrumors regular

Time Warner. The reason that I do not think it is a problem on gmail's end is because I am still getting my gmail on my iphone without a problem.

4. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

Strange that iPhone gives no trouble but mail does....though maybe then again maybe it's not strange. I've become a little dissatisfied w/ Mail.app's quirky behaviour for myself and many of my friends over the last few months.

Your gmail is all set for IMAP correct?

5. tirexstorm thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, using IMAP. Haven't touched the settings and the problems just started occurring recently. Never had a problem prior.

6. sevyn macrumors newbie

ugh

I've been having this problem lately as well. Is there a fix yet? I've tried all the ports and nothing is working.

7. jmccullough108 macrumors 6502a

jmccullough108

Try to login to your webmail account, When I logged in, it said I was disabled for an update.

Few minutes later it worked again.

8. sevyn macrumors newbie

9. micsaund macrumors 6502

micsaund

My gmail account has started doing this same thing in the OP (web login required error).

It has been working just fine for several months, and now, with no changes from me, nothing syncs and I can't even take the account online.

I tried deleting the account and reconfiguring it as described in http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=78892 but when I enter the login info I get an error that the imap server could not be logged into. I'm using the same account and password that I just entered into the gmail web interface and is working properly.

Something must have changed either at gmail or in Mail to cause these errors to suddenly start happening.

10. micsaund macrumors 6502

micsaund