Mac Mail Help

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Ilovemydogs, Nov 9, 2009.

1. Ilovemydogs macrumors newbie

I've only had my MacBook Pro for a week, so be gentle if these are stupid questions, OK?

1. In Mail, is there a way to "surf" through messages without having to go back to the inbox to click on the next message? IOW, in Outlook, I could open a message, and there were up and down arrows in the toolbar that either took me directly to the next message or the previous one - but I didn't have to go back to the inbox to select them. I could access them directly from my current message. I've asked this elsewhere and no one seems to know what I'm talking about.:confused:

2. How would I know if my MBP has Snow Leopard? It doesn't show up under "About This Mac."

Many thx!

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

1. can't you use the up and down keys to go through Mail?
    2. It will say the OS version under about this Mac. 10.5 is Leopard, 10.6 is Snow Leopard.

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

1. Not that I am aware of

2. Under Mac OS X in About this Mac does it say 10.6.x (where x is 0,1 or 2)? Then it's Snow Leopard.

4. Ilovemydogs thread starter macrumors newbie

It says 10.6.2, so I guess it's Snow Leopard. That answers that.

"can't you use the up and down keys to go through Mail?"
    Nooooooooooooo. Let me try to ask this in a different way.

OK, I go to my inbox, and there are 4 new messages.
    I open the first one, and when I finish reading it, I want to go DIRECTLY to the next unread message.
    I want to go from inside the message I've just read.
    I don't want to have to leave this message, and go back to the inbox to select the next message. Does this make it any clearer?

There are two arrows in the toolbar in Outlook that allow me to do this.

(BTW, if you don't have/haven't used Outlook, this won't make any sense at all.)

5. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

But why not just hit the down arrow? You can still read it in the bottom pane. If you double click the email to open it in a new window you can't navigate to another message.

6. Pomeroy macrumors 6502

Pomeroy

I think you must have double clicked on the dot under the messages and closed the mail viewing panel. Drag the dot back up so you can see your mail and don't double click to read, just single click to read mail and then you can use the keyboard arrows to goto the next.

7. Ilovemydogs thread starter macrumors newbie

OK, you understand what I'm saying now. "Navigate" is the word I should have been using. Anyway, you answered my question by saying I can't. That's all I needed to know.

Thx

8. Ilovemydogs thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you, but no, this is not what I was asking about. I know all about the preview pane, but what I was asking has nothing at all to do with that. Sky Blue has answered my question. I guess the feature I'm looking for does not exist in Mac mail. That's OK; I just wanted to know a) If it had the feature, and b) If so, where could I find it.

Many thx, anyway.:)