Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rk1991

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 10, 2009
Hey I just got the new unibody macbook and im glad i made the switch to mac but i seem to have a problem setting up mac mail. Whenever i set up my gmail account with mac mail for the first time it says its importing more than 2000 emails but when i check the all mail of my gmail account it says i only have 566 including sent and drafts. I have deleted all the spam so it couldnt be spam. However after the first time i did it and later on when i checked my blackberry it said i had a 145 new emails most of them spam and old emails that i know i had deleted. I check my gmail to see it has more than 2000 emails and 145 unread emails that were old and spam messages. After deleting them all i retried to set up mac mail and it says that its importing 1200 emails from gmail but as i said before my gmail only has 566 emails but nothing changed in my inbox everything else is fine unlike the first time. Why does it import 1200 emails when i only have 566?

Also this has nothing to do with mac mail but i noticed that my hd fluctuates a lot. In one day it would go from 232.95 to 232.75 without me doing anything but browse the web and listen to music.

rk1991

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 10, 2009
i know its not a lot but thats how much it fluctuated yest. sometimes it fluctuates up to a gig and it seems too much to be internet cache. Also has anyone else experienced the same mac mail problem i have because thats what i am more concerned about.

KielderWolf

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2009
Northeast England
i know its not a lot but thats how much it fluctuated yest. sometimes it fluctuates up to a gig and it seems too much to be internet cache. Also has anyone else experienced the same mac mail problem i have because thats what i am more concerned about.

Yes. I imported my university mail account into Mail. I knew there were only 60 or so messages in there, all of them read, none of them spam. Mail said it was importing 270 messages. I ignored it, came back, and there were the 60-ish messages, nothing else. I just put it down to the Internet being crazy.

rk1991

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 10, 2009
I have another question now whenever i delete my mail from mac mail it does not delete from gmail but instead ends up with a deleted messages label. So i changed the settings to the current settings in the attachment and although the messages dont get labeled they do not get deleted but instead reappear in my inbox. Is there anything i can do to fix this??

Attachments

• Screen shot 2009-12-12 at 7.26.48 PM.png
    Screen shot 2009-12-12 at 7.26.48 PM.png
    114.3 KB · Views: 52

samir684

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2008
also something to keep in mind is that gmail threads chains of messages into "one" email, but when you export that to mail/outlook it will take each message on its own. i did it for my boss and he had 6000 messages that ended up being 14000 emails or so.

Eldiablojoe

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2009
West Koast
My understanding with the gmail on MacMail is that when it says it's downloading 1000 messages when in fact you have 500, what it is REALLY doing is downloading 1000 CHANGES to your mail.

If you deleted 250 messages from gmail on another computer, or iPhone, and, moved 250 messages around to other folders, and then had 500 new messages to download, that is actually 1000 changes to your mail (1000 things to sync) so that is what it is doing and why it counts the way it counts.

Don't know if that is true or not, but that was my understanding from when I asked the question of someone at an Apple store, and now that I think of it as 1000 changes instead of 1000 messages, my macmail makes more sense to me.

FWIW, YMMV, My .02, Etc.

dylanweber

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2009
USA
rk1991, Check "Store deleted messages on the server." This way Mail tells Google that this is trash and move it to the Trash. :cool:

binary10

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2009
in a bit register, everywhere
I had numerious deleting and moving issues using macmail with gmail when I first got my iMac, so I dunno if its what you're getting. But I had the deleted email coming back, also checking the gmail via webmail my email still existed !! I think it has something to do with the 'All Mail' label in gmail.

I solved mine by doing something like this (from what I remember):

Via the webmail interface to my gmail account I went into the 'Settings->lab' section of gmail and found a entry called 'Advanced Imap Controls' Enabled that. You have to do it via the webmail interface.

Still in webmail, on the 'Labels' (in settings) each folder then had a 'show in imap' tick box I unticked 'show in imap' on the 'System Labels: All Mail'.

Then theres a few other things to undo like don't save drafts on the server... it generates tooooo much traffic tbh and each mod (each character change) ends up as a deleted entry.

Probably best not to have your macmail client running at the same time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.