Mac Mail: How can I increase mailbox capacity?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by stringtheorist, Oct 6, 2008.

1. stringtheorist macrumors regular

Is there some way of increasing the number of emails Mac Mail stores in the Trash/Sent mailboxes? I frequently find I am unable to retrieve and reread old messages because they are deleted too soon.

2. southerndoc macrumors 6502a

southerndoc

You can change the number of days MobileMe keeps messages in your junk/trash folders through Mail's preference settings. Deselect the autodelete option if it's deleting them before you have a chance to review them.

If it's actual space that's causing the deletion, then you can change the allocation of iDisk/Mail space available by visiting MobileMe, logging in, and then clicking on the account tab.

3. stringtheorist thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry, I don't know what MobileMe is. I'm talking about the standard Mail application on my iMac. I've tried looking in the preferences but can't find a solution in there.

4. aristobrat macrumors G4

You might also want to check with whomever is hosting your email. They may have a server-side rule that automatically empties the trash after so many days.

On my personally-hosted email, I've never had Mail.app empty my trash can automatically for me.

5. lisamel macrumors regular

lisamel

Hi!
    Have you tried this:
    Preferences -> Accounts -> Mailbox Behaviors. There you can change how often sent and junk folders empty. Mine is set to Never on sent mail, and none of my sent mail has been deleted yet.

6. stringtheorist thread starter macrumors regular

Ah, that's it. Brilliant! I missed that. Cheers. :cool:

7. lisamel macrumors regular

lisamel