Mac mail .....Icloud

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by saladiro, Oct 28, 2012.

1. saladiro macrumors 6502a

saladiro

Hi,

on Mac mail, I use iCloud. Under Preferences - accounts - mailbox behaviors, I have it checked to "store messages on the server" for drafts, sent, junk and deleted. What exactly does this mean. What if I uncheck? What can i not do?

also, i used to have gmail imported to my mac mail app. I no longer want to use gmail as I would like to start using iCloud mail full time. BUTTT under gmail, when i uncheck "enable this account", ALL my historical gmails disappear. This is not good as i have over a years worth of important emails that i don't want to to go away. I know they are prob still at gmail.com, but i was wondering if there is an easy way to cut gmail off but retain previous messages?

any help is greatly appreciated
    :cool:

2. dianeoforegon macrumors 6502a

dianeoforegon

You could put the account into "Offline" mode. If you just want the messages you can move to folder(s) under "On My Mac". You'll need to create the folder. I don't think you can drag a Gmail IMAP folder to "On My Mac" sections.

I would verify that the number in each folder was moved. Gmail will throttle you if you move too many messages at a time. I would do one folder at a time. If it's large do them in batches.