Mac Mail Keeps Shutting Down

Discussion in 'iMac' started by mackage, Jun 25, 2011.

1. mackage macrumors 6502

I just received my 2011 2.7ghz iMac yesterday and the Mac Mail app keeps shutting down. You don't even have to be checking out emails are anything. You can just open the application, it searches for new emails and retreives them, and then shuts down after being open for about 20 seconds.

I have tried a few things. First, I checked for software updates; none. Then I deleted the com.apple.whatever file from preferences and then setup my email account again and that didn't help. I then called Apple and that guy walked me through a few things like setting up another user account to see if it would do the same thing logged on as someone else; it did. So then he told me to reinstall the OS. I just did and it is still doing it. I tried to call Apple back, but now they are closed.

Do any of you have any idea what could be causing this? I use the same gmail account on my iPhone and Macbook Pro through Mac Mail and those work just fine.

2. rottnjohn macrumors newbie

rottnjohn

Have you tried a different gmail account by creating a new one, and not trying to sync with an existing account? Did you and the apple guy go over all the mailbox settings? You probably can't because it is crashing before you can even open Preferences now, huh? Are you using POP or IMAP?

Create a new gmail account, comb thru all the settings in gmail help and write them down. Create a new user account to test with on the iMac, login as that User and open Mail. Add the new gmail Mailbox/account. What happens?

After Mail disappears, open a Terminal and 'cd /var/log; ls -lrt ' at the prompt.
    Either kernel.log or system.log will have the latest timestamp, you can look at the last 10 lines of that file by entering 'tail system.log ' or 'tail kernel.log '. Did any of the messages look like they are coming from Mail? The apple guy needs to see them or did he already have you look?

3. mackage thread starter macrumors 6502

Why do you think creating a new gmail account would do anything? I can use the existing account with Mac Mail on my Macbook Pro and iPhone and have been doing so for years. It's not the account. On the iMac, Mac Mail will start up and collect messages but shuts down shortly thereafter.