Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

billhummer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2012
I was away for the weekend with my laptop without internet connection. Now my mac Mail won't load those 3 days worth of emails. I can receive mail from today and yesterday. Using a pop account and gmail. Gmail loads them fine.
Thanks

billhummer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2012
Did you check your e-mail on your phone? A POP e-mail account won't hold messages on the server after they're downloaded by a device. Or maybe you didn't get any e-mails over the weekend.

Yes email was downloaded to my iPhone over the weekend. How can I get them to my Mac Mail? Yes I had emails over the weekend.
Thanks

Mojo1

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2011
Did you check your e-mail on your phone? A POP e-mail account won't hold messages on the server after they're downloaded by a device.

POP3 e-mail accounts will leave messages on the server if you have it configured to do so in your e-mail program. The OP needs to change the settings for the accounts on the iPhone so messages downloaded and read on the iPhone remain on the server. Then the messages can be downloaded again on the home computer. Just be sure to configure the Mac's Mail settings so the server will delete the messages after they are downloaded if it isn't already configured that way.

On the iPhone go to Settings/Mail, Contacts, Calendar. Select the account, then scroll down and click Advanced. The Delete From Server option should be Never.

hampshireman

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2008
Hampshire
My Mac mail has stopped incoming

Since Wednesday last week, no email has arrived in my box. My wife has an account and is sending and receiving. We are both with Plusnet. I have checked the settings with them and all OK. I have created a new account with the right settings and still nothing.

Any clues please?

Mojo1

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2011
Hampshireman, you may get more responses if you start a new thread.

Have you tried sending messages from your wife's account to your account? If there is a problem she may receive a return message detailing the glitch on the server end. You can also send messages from your account and see what error messages come up. I always test accounts using my e-mail client and another e-mail service such as GMail since sending/receiving messages using the same ISP doesn't always turn up problems with mail sent from other providers.

Once you have tried the above steps the error messages/bounced message notices will be a big help in determining what is going on.

Mail isn't my fave e-mail client because it can be difficult to configure and trouble-shoot problems. I've been using GyazMail for several months and I prefer it over Mail. There is no setup "wizard" that gets in the way and GyazMail doesn't forget account passwords like Mail tends to do.

hampshireman

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2008
Hampshire
Yes tried sending both ways. No error messages. I can use the Plusnet Webmail and see what's going on in there, as all messages are getting through to that, in fact I am answering your comment by accession the link from there.

Mojo1

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2011
Yes tried sending both ways. No error messages. I can use the Plusnet Webmail and see what's going on in there, as all messages are getting through to that, in fact I am answering your comment by accession the link from there.

Hmmm... Are the messages actually being sent by Mail or are they waiting to be sent in a folder?

It's unusual for there to not be any error messages or bounced messages when e-mail is acting up...

I assume that you are receiving e-mail that you can read via the Web interface but it isn't getting through to Mail.

The fact that your wife's account is working seems to narrow it down to a problem with Mail on your Mac. Let me know if GyazMail changes anything.

hampshireman

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2008
Hampshire
Some guy off the forum say have I emptied my inbox, which I have to a point, but he suggested there is another storage facility of copies which maybe full.

Is there a restore previous settings?

I apologise for my ignorance in these matters

Mojo1

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2011
I suppose that if there is a separate trash folder that it needs to be emptied, but it should be readily apparent via the Web interface. Usually emptying the inbox is all that needs to be done.

And if your inbox is full messages will usually be bounced back to the sender with a notice indicating that the intended recipient's mailbox is full. What is perplexing to me about your problem is the lack of any error messages from Mail or your e-mail server.

Have you tried GyazMail yet? You don't have to pay for it until the demo period expires. It's simply an easy way to see if the problem is with Mail or your ISP. Setting up a new account takes a couple of minutes.

hampshireman

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2008
Hampshire
I have solved it thanks.

I have read all sorts of help stuff in the HELP section on mail and got to a point about the little icons just to the right of the email address in the mailbox. There was a small icon which looked like an electrical signal and i clicked on it, and within seconds it changed to the figure 60 and all my emails appeared.

My man who arrived later stated it was a sign that I wasn't connected at the other end for some reason. We can't work out why my wife's still worked, but anyway I am now clear.

Many thanks for your input to this non geek old man.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.