Mac mail on two computers

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by hiloboydiver, Oct 15, 2012.

1. hiloboydiver macrumors newbie

I bought a MBP and used the migration assistant to move info from my old MB. Since I will be using both computers, is there any way I could manage my Mac mail on my MBP and have the changes be mirrored on my old MB.

Thanks!

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

3. hiloboydiver thread starter macrumors newbie

How?

4. pdjudd macrumors 601

If your mail account supports IMAP your provider will have instructions on how to set it up specifically. Your provider has to support it though and most do not.

5. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

What type of account is it? hotmail, gmail, icloud etc?

6. CASLondon macrumors 6502a

Set up both machines to receive the email accounts you want, making sure that each machine has its settings as to not remove email from the server (mail>preferences>accounts>advanced> deselect remove mail from server box).

If you need to manage the buildup of mail on the ISP/Host server, you can manually sign in and wipe out the mail on server once you have copies on your system, and backed up.

We have accounts in our house that are served by iphone, ipad, imac, and macbook pro all at same time. Sent messages are only saved on the devices, but as long as server has the original all see the same inbox.

They won't be "mirrored", and I'm not sure how you could do that, but both machines will read the same email and have identical inboxes. The only way to totally mirror all changes is to move mail to iCloud email address and set up both machines that way.