Mac Mail or stick With Google Apps mail

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by trackbikes, Sep 27, 2011.

1. trackbikes macrumors regular

I currently run all my email accounts (10 accounts) through Google Apps mail . Since switching to 100% Apple, computers, phones ipods etc. I've been wondering if it 's worth switching to mac mail.

I've set up mac mail on 4 accounts but it's a bit of a struggle getting to work like I want, loads of "good" emails are in the junk folder while lots of spam is in the normal mail folders.

When i read an email..it stays visible in the mail folder rather getting archived..

I appreciate it's going to take a while to get things working like I am used to ....but and finally we reach the question...

Has anyone made the switch to mac mail from google apps and is it worth it??

2. thunderkat macrumors newbie

In short, no.

Nothing works better than Google Mail. And it's all in the cloud so no pain at all moving from one OS or device to another. Mac Mail has absolutely no benefit to offer, if you ever used outlook, just imagine it's like a swish skinned version of that. There are no labels, no easy extensions like canned responses, and no easy way to manage multiple accounts without it turning into a cluster****.

You could try MailPlane if want something a little more desktop friendly. I use this with about 6 different Gmail accounts and it's a breeze switching between them.

3. summitRun macrumors regular

It seems like a lot of people with gMail use Sparrow. I think it was developed with them in mind. I dont know if its just me but there seem to be many complaints about Mac Mail here on the forum. Then again you dont hear about the ones who are perfectly happy, so I don't know. It bugs me that I cant even look at the Mac Mail program without establishing an account.

4. zobby macrumors newbie

Well for balance, I use the mail app with google mail and Im perfectly happy, Having said that it does recognise the odd one as junk when it isn't, and I only have 1 account to manage, but Id rather use the app than use the web for it.

5. roxxette macrumors 68000

roxxette

I use icloud email plus hotmail (imap setup with mbox) with Mail app and never had a problem BUT its not like my needs are wide like some people do , that said its all there to try it out and make up your mind :)

6. Beligerent macrumors regular

Beligerent

I'll agree with what was already said here. Gmail and Apple Mail have never really worked harmoniously together. Like the other guy said, if its one account and its a pretty straight forward setup then its fine. The problem comes because Apple Mail wants to create "Folders" for Gmail calls "Labels". Then in the side bar of mail it creates all kinds of subfolders for what should be labels. I wish there was a good way to handle this.