Mac Mail - PDF Attachment Changes

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by alksion, Feb 4, 2015.

1. alksion macrumors 68000

alksion

In Mac Mail, when I attach a PDF inline, it gives a preview in the composition window. The problem is when I make changes to the PDF in either Preview or Acrobat and re-attach the file, the inline preview of the attachment will not show.

For example, if I add 3 names to the list in my PDF file, save the PDF file and attach it to Mac Mail, none of those names show up in the PDF preview attachment in the composition window even though the changes were made.

My friend is running 10.8.5 and the changes show up without issue. 10.9.5 does not for some reason.

Any takes?

2. KoolAid-Drink macrumors 65816

Odd. On 10.10.2, it works just fine and shows the changes without an issue. Can anyone else with 10.9.x confirm if they experience the same issue?

3. alksion thread starter macrumors 68000

alksion

Yeah it works on 10.8 as well. But I've tried two machines running 10.9.5 and have the same problem.

4. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

I'm not sure how or where Mail gets that preview out of the document but it looks like Mavericks doesn't change it when you make subsequent changes to the document. Making a "Duplicate" in Preview doesn't work, either. Printing as a new PDF does but that's to be expected.

5. alksion thread starter macrumors 68000

alksion

I agree with you that it simply appears to be Mavericks exclusive, but is there anyway to confirm this definitively?

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I'm on 10.9.5 and I see no previews of PDFs attached inline on email messages, whether the PDF has been modified or not. These are Gmail accounts.

7. alksion thread starter macrumors 68000

alksion

Odd, mine comes up every time with the preview, just without the modifications to the PDF.

8. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

There's a preview in Mac Mail if the PDF is one page.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yep, that appears to be the difference. I've tried with several PDFs and if it's one page, it displays a preview; if more than one page, it doesn't. Interesting to know!

10. alksion thread starter macrumors 68000

alksion

You're not understanding. I am not talking about a basic preview of the PDF, I am talking about the changes made to a PDF.

If I take a one page PDF that I created in Acrobat and edit it in Preview or Acrobat, save it and then attach to my message, the changes made to the PDF do not display. Only the original content from the PDF is displayed.

11. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

I think I am. My first post was directed at that. The one to which you responded. I am the same person.

The one you quoted was directed at the last two posts prior to it...about GGJstudios not seeing previews.