Mac Mail Problem

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by vp719, Aug 2, 2007.

1. vp719 macrumors regular

I can't send any mail from my Mail account located on the dock. If i go online through .mac i can send just fine, but whenever i try directly from the program, i get this :

The connection to the server "smtp.mac.com" on port 25 timed out.

Also, Mail has been periodically freezing on me, it won't respond whenever i open it. I have to go into the preferences and delete the mail file..I'm new to the Mac scene so this all may be simple fixes...thanks

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Let me get this straight... You delete the Mail preference file, open Mail, reconfigure your settings, try sending an email, fail, close Mail, and then have to delete the preference file again before being able to reopen it? Eek!

The sending issue could be one of a few things... Some ISPs want you to use their SMTP settings exclusively, in which case you'll have to follow up your ISP as to what settings to use here. Alternatively, some ISPs prefer email to be sent out on port 587. This setting can be changed via Mail's Preferences, in the Accounts pane.

3. DubOverdose macrumors member

You know...I've had my Mail set up on my laptop for 2 years now and so far only been able to send e-mails from school. I've tried to find out how to send e-mails from my house for so long...and I can finally do that. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew