Mac Mail problems with Gmail...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by camilletom, Jul 19, 2010.

1. camilletom macrumors member

camilletom

Hello.
    So I set up my Mail application to work with my Gmail account, and since then there have only been problems...

1)First of all, my inbox does not only contain the messages I've received, but also ALL the replies I've ever written to people, as if I've sent them to myself... Weird, isn't it?

2)Also, when I open messages from the inbox, they load pretty slowly, even if they do not contain attachments. On my previous mac, they loaded faster. I don't get it...

3)On the Gmail website, 3 new labels have been created by themselves: Sent message, Imap/draft and deleted messages. Why?

4)In the Mac Mail trash, there are 2 trashes "on my mac" and "Gmail". Is this normal?

5)When I read a message in my Mac Mail, it is also marked as unread in Gmail. But when I read a message in Gmail, it is NOT marked as unread in Mac Mail.

I appreciate your reading my post.
    Have a great day,
    Camille.

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

Mail.app is somewhat cheesy. I use it but I don't like some of its quirks. You might consider Thunderbird for OS X if you can't stand Mail.app.

I have a MobileMe and a Gmail account. Mail.app works flawlessly with MobileMe implementing all IMAP features properly such as mark as read, etc. But with gmail, Mail.app performance is intermittent at best. You can go to google's site and find configuration settings for Mail.app and those tweaks might help you, but bear in mind Mail.app is not the greatest email app in the world to begin with.

I find Mail.app's quirks a minor annoyance so I haven't bothered with any alternative email apps but don't be surprised if you never get everything working seamlessly between gmail and Mail.app or that something breaks for no reason when you least expect it (because of changes on google's servers).

3. camilletom thread starter macrumors member

camilletom

Oh...I see.
    Well, would u have any solutions for those problems, or it is too hard to solve in your knowledge?
    Thanks.

4. lucifiel macrumors 6502a

lucifiel

I can try to answer the issues raised, but before that I need to know what protocol you have used to import Gmail into Mail.

I personally have very little issue with Gmail + Mail + iPhone (via Gsync).

It all sounds like you didn't set up your gmail account properly via the IMAP protocol.

Try this link Click Me and see if following those steps help.

If it does not, please let us know and we'll try our best to help.

5. camilletom thread starter macrumors member

camilletom

thank you so much for your help! Every problem is solved!! :D