Mac Mail Problems

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by howardn, Feb 23, 2008.

1. howardn macrumors newbie

I am a Windows and a Mac user. Mac Mail (Leopard) has the following problems:

1. Cannot handle wmv or pdf in an attached email; they only work if attached to an original email.
    2. Paste into an email grabs signature and moves it forward
    3. Several other attachment types are unreadable.

I have to continually use my Windows client to read 5-10% of my email. Am I missing something? How can Mac expect Windows users to switch to Mac if you can't read all email types?:mad:

2. ::Lisa:: macrumors 6502a

::Lisa::

I'm no expert but I'd say something is wrong as I have no problem with wmv and pdf. I have Perian and Flip4Mac installed to get the Windows files such as .wmv.

Paste works fine for me. I personally do the cmd + V shortcut for that. What other attachments are not working. Is it possible you can arrange an appointment at the Apple store or chat over the phone with this?

May not be necessary though if someone else can help here.

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

It is difficult to understand what you are saying. However, you must understand that file attachments are not magic. The are handled by the software installed on your computer. If your attachments are not displaying properly, then it is probably because you don't have the required software installed. ::Lisa::'s suggestions about Flip4Mac and Perian are excellent. Perhaps, you will do well to explain which file types are not working for you.

4. howardn thread starter macrumors newbie

More Detail

I guess I wasn't clear enough so let me try again. I do use Flip4mac. The problems most often occur when I get a third party email. Person A sends person B an email with a PDF or WMV. That person then sends me an email with the first email as an attachment. Mac Mail turns it all into weird text for page after page. You should be able to click on the attached email and have it open. Inside would be the original text and the PDF or WMV attachment. On my system this doesn't work.

Cut and paste work, but not quite correctly. I am using a signature at the end of my email. If I say something like "Check this web site" and then paste the URL it grabs the signature and appends it to the URL. I then have to cursor over and put the returns back in.

Hope this helps. I appreciate you all trying to help me.

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Your computer isn't turning anything into anything. Some email clients forward messages as attachments, either as a result of a user selection or by default. This is what happened when Person B forwarded his message from Person A to you.

6. howardn thread starter macrumors newbie

Net, net

Well, my Mac does turn a perfectly valid email into garbage. They can be read on a PC so one way or another it is a Mac proble.

7. skwij macrumors 6502

Do you have the Composing set to Rich Text? Under "Viewing" do you have the remote images/HTML option ticked on?

Also, my sigs attach just fine if I FORWARD the email. I've never had to copy/paste to get it to send correctly.

IMPO attachments are the bane of email.

8. howardn thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes to both

I have compose set to Rich Text and viewing set to HTML. It also seems that jpg's sent from Thunderbird/Windows result in garbage. On the signature, it is included just fine. The irritation is that when you paste something into the email, like a URL, the signature line is pulled forward and needs to be repositioned. Like this: www.yahoo.comhoward.