mac mail Q?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by saladiro, Jun 9, 2008.

1. saladiro macrumors 6502a

saladiro

hi...

in mac mail, when i sent preferances to delete emails older than...lets say 90 days, does this ONLY apply to my inbox, and NOT my other folders i maually created (eg. bills, forums, important ect....)

to be honest, some have said yes, and some have said no, so I am gonna go with the majority based on your guys responses

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Where is this option?

All I see in Mail.app is the mailbox behaviors of "Sent", "Junk", and "Trash".

3. saladiro thread starter macrumors 6502a

saladiro

if you go to preferences...then rules (far right) (I am not on my hom pc, so this is from memory)...you can create a rule that says "if mail is older that 90days" move to trash. I an trying to confirm if this rule applies to the inbox only, or all of my sub folders i created

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Ah, a rule will apply to ALL mailboxes. Though.. the rules might not be parsed until you select a message and choose "Apply Rules" from the Message pull-down.

I assume you mean a rule like this:

Unfortunately, it's not something I'm too keen on testing. ;)

5. saladiro thread starter macrumors 6502a

saladiro

ok...I totally trust your experties...but why are others telling me that this rule only applies to "inbox" does it say somewhere that this is the case...I would like to prove those who told me other wise wrong.

I have some very important emails that I put in my "important folder," that I need to know if they will be deleted or not....

...so simple ...so complex

6. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Well, frankly, I would NEVER allow a rule like this to exist. When it comes to deleting email, I want to be damn sure that it's a choice made by me, not an automated choice that may have unexpected consequences.

New rules apply ONLY to newly incoming mails, without user interaction. For this rule to apply to an already existing mail that was received before the addition of the rule, one would have to select the mail and apply the rules, I'm fairly certain.

So, both parties are right. It only applies to your Inbox, because that's where mails end up when you get them, but it WILL apply to other mailboxes should to tell Mail.app to apply rules to a message(s).

I suggest you experiment first, rather than delete mail, move it to a temp folder and see what mail it applies to. Remember, the rules you have are processed in order, so the first rule that matches, is applied.

7. saladiro thread starter macrumors 6502a

saladiro

Cool. Tks for the detailed ino. I appreciate......
    I will do some testing when I get home