.mac mail questions?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by eyedoc_00, Jul 7, 2008.

1. eyedoc_00 macrumors regular

What is the incoming server name?
    What is the outgoing server name?
    Is .mac mail POP or IMAP?

Thanks

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Are you setting up Apple's Mail program?

Setting up Mac OS X Mail to receive your .Mac email
    You can set up Mac OS X Mail to receive your .Mac email messages.

To set up Mac OS X Mail to receive .Mac mail messages:
    If you're using Mac OS X version 10.3 or later, open System Preferences, click .Mac, and enter your .Mac member name and password. If you're using a version of Mac OS X earlier than version 10.3, open System Preferences, click Internet, and enter your .Mac member name and password on the .Mac or iTools tab.
    Open Mac OS X Mail, choose Mail > Preferences, and click Accounts. If you're using Mac OS X version 10.3 or later, click the Add (+) button; or, if you're using a version of Mac OS X earlier than version 10.3, click Add Account or Create Account. Choose .Mac or Mac.com Account from the Account Type pop-up menu, and enter your account information.
    .Mac Mail's incoming mail server is "mail.mac.com" and the outgoing mail server is "smtp.mac.com."

If you're using a version of Mac OS X earlier than version 10.2, select the "Use authentication when sending mail" checkbox, then enter your member name and password in the SMTP User and SMTP Password fields.
    The member name and password you use for SMTP authentication must match the member name and password in the User Name and Password fields.

To switch to POP, delete the existing IMAP account before you create the new POP account. Choose POP Account from the Account Type pop-up menu instead of .Mac Account or Mac.com Account.

You can also check email when you're away from your own computer. All you need is a computer with an Internet connection and a supported web browser to check your .Mac Mail. See "Setting up .Mac Mail on the web" for more information.

Are you setting up another mail application?

About setting up other email programs
    You can use any standard email program to read your .Mac Mail messages.

To set up other email programs:
    Open your email program and set up an account that uses:

Your .Mac member name for the account name
    Your .Mac password for the mail password
    quot;mail.mac.com" for the POP or IMAP server
    Your ISP's SMTP server for the outgoing mail server
    If your email application supports authenticated SMTP, you can use "smtp.mac.com" as your SMTP server. This allows you to send mail from locations where you cannot use your ISP's SMTP server.

Mac OS X Mail supports authenticated SMTP and is set up to use smtp.mac.com for .Mac Mail accounts by default.

Note: Some ISPs restrict access to the TCP port (25) used by SMTP. If your ISP is blocking port 25, you can use your email application to change the port to 587 and try again. If you continue to have trouble sending mail using smtp.mac.com, switch back to your ISP's SMTP server.

For information on using a web browser instead of a desktop email program to access your .Mac Mail messages, search .Mac Help for "reading email."

3. eyedoc_00 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks.
    Actually I want to set up my phone to get my mac e-mail. I wanted to get an iPhone, unfortunately, att@t gets no service at my work. Can't justify spending the money and not being able to use the product a majority of the time.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You'll get more accurate responses if you fully describe what you're trying to do in your original post: hardware, software, versions, etc. The better you describe your problem, the better people can help you. It's also a good idea to search the forums before you start a new thread, since most questions have already been asked and answered numerous times by others.

5. eyedoc_00 thread starter macrumors regular

I think you answered my questions!

6. vasanth4u macrumors member

vasanth4u

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios