Mac Mail repeatidly asking for password

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Craig McArthur, Jan 7, 2012.

1. Craig McArthur macrumors member

2. jimg324 macrumors newbie

mac mail/password

I am having same problem and have been for sometime had to switch to Thunderbird, have no problems now. I would per to use Mac-Mail if I could solve this.

3. 3282868 macrumors 603

What email account(s) are giving you issues in Mail? Gmail had a bug with constant denial of password acceptance causing Mail to request the password over and over again. This happened during the DP's (an OS X and iOS developer here) but was remedied by configuring Gmail settings in Gmail itself. Also try resetting your passwords. Since iCloud's release Apple has made it mandatory for new and older MobileMe users to have at least a capital letter and numbers in their passwords. I doubt this would effect Gmail, but it may for other accounts (oddly).

When all else fails, remove all your accounts from the Mail.app, close it, delete any leftover .plists in your /Users/[USER ACCOUNT]/Library/Preferences folder (such as the "com.apple.mail.plist" file and any other plist files relating to OS X Mail) and delete the /Users/[USER ACCOUNT]/Library/Mail/ folder contents (not the folder, just the contents). This will restart the app to complete defaults should anything else be "lingering" that may be causing the issue(s).

Good luck! :)

4. Fishrrman macrumors G3

One other thing to try is to go to "Keychain Access", and then delete ALL passwords that are "mail-related".

Then close Keychain Access and relaunch Mail. You will again be prompted for your username and password, and it should ask if you wish to store these in the Keychain -- yes, you want to do this.

This worked for me when I was experiencing similar problems...