Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VaatiKaiba

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2008
My mom's been using an iMac since last December, and hasn't had any real problem with it until now. A couple of days ago, all her sent messages (except for the most recent sent message and a seemingly random one from 5 May) have all disappeared from the (local) Mac Mailbox. All the sent messages can still be seen on the Gmail server in Mail, but I'm baffled as to how this happened - she didn't get any errors or pop-ups saying that there was a reason this happened.

After a bit of research, I found out that people had been having problems once their mailboxes reached a certain size, but as I said, she got no error and it's kept two of them in there.

Can anyone explain why this might have happened, and how those sent messages can be restored (she had some of them deleted locally and not on the server, and she doesn't want to have to sort through them all...)?

Thanks in advance!

Tumbleweed666

macrumors 68000
Mar 20, 2009
Near London, UK.
When I had a Mail folder go missing in Mail, TM did a great job of getting it back.
Failing TM, use the last backup she took.
If she doesn't take backups or use TM, frankly why bother, she'll lose it all one day anyway.

VaatiKaiba

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2008
When I had a Mail folder go missing in Mail, TM did a great job of getting it back.
Failing TM, use the last backup she took.
If she doesn't take backups or use TM, frankly why bother, she'll lose it all one day anyway.

She uses TM, but where would I find the folder to restore?

JediMeister

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
Time Machine will not do much of anything if Gmail is set up as an IMAP account, only if it's POP. If it is POP, the folder to restore would likely be inside ~/Library/Mail. Have you looked inside Mail Preferences->Accounts, with the Gmail account selected and gone to the Mailbox Behaviors tab? Is "Store sent messages on server" checked? How about the dropdown menu below that for "Delete sent messages"?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.