Mac Mail, Thunderbird, Outlook and POP3 Issues

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by marchone, May 9, 2012.

1. marchone macrumors newbie

Hi.
    I have started this new thread because I feel this is a big issue that is still yet to be solved.

The issue is that when using mail clients connecting to POP3 servers I am getting server dropouts, slow deliveries and other errors that don't allow message delivery or sending.

I have use multiple clients with multiple port choices. SSL and non SSL.

The web based mail is receiving. If you log on, all the mails are there, they are just not downloading to the mail clients.

I use godaddy servers and their forums seem to be loaded with the same issue. telnet & traceroutes have been done and examine with no definitive results.

My question is: Are there known issues with macs and POP3 or particular ports that macs like to use?

this has been bugging me for months and I have tried all the things within my expertise. But I feel this may be something deeper

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It's probably GoDaddy then.

3. marchone thread starter macrumors newbie

I have been back and forth with go daddy for months and their forums go back for nearly two years on this issue.

there has to be a reason.

I was reading about the possibility that the pop mail is trying to retrieve mail simultaneously and thusly killing one of the processes. But the issue i am having is across multiple email accounts not just one.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Yes, there is probably a reason. However you state that all of your accounts are using GoDaddy's service with zero attempts to use something like GMail to try and isolate the problem. If the behavior you experience with your GoDaddy accounts did not appear with your test GMail account, that would suggest it's something with GoDaddy. If it also showed up with your GMail account the problem lies elsewhere.

5. takeshi74 macrumors 601

+1

Of course there is. You'd need to get the reason from GoDaddy. Not sure how you're extrapolating that there's a general issue with POP accounts based on POP account issues you're specifically having with GoDaddy.

At least try some other POP accounts before making a broad, sweeping assumption. It's basic troubleshooting.

6. marchone, May 9, 2012
    Last edited: May 9, 2012

marchone thread starter macrumors newbie

Good point. I have one pop forward going with gmail and have set up two more with hotmail and yahoo.

I will report back on the results of those tests.

7. marchone thread starter macrumors newbie

POP 3 Solution for godaddy

After months of back and forth with godaddy and also months of personal testing, I did what the previous poster suggested and set up multiple pop3 streams to other suppliers.

Th results: No adverse effects. It all worked well, pointing back to godaddy as the issue.

Also to finish it all off I have now recieved an email from godaddy stating that the issue has been resolved.

So after nearly two years of forums talking about this issue, godaddy seem to have fixed the issue with no explanation.

server timeouts have ceased.

8. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Glad to hear it. GoDaddy sucks :( At least they seem to have fixed your problem, though... for now.

9. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

I'm just curious why you use POP3 rather than IMAP?

10. marchone thread starter macrumors newbie

that they do. but i have yet to find an alternative for my needs

----------

Because i find it a little more user friendly for my needs on multiple devices.
    That said, I dont know if it is more robust or anything, I just understand pop3 more.

11. HenryAZ macrumors 6502

HenryAZ

I would guess GoDaddy has multiple pop servers, for as many customers as they serve, and I wonder if the particular server is at issue. I am curious which pop server you are using. They have had me on pop.secureserver.net for about a dozen years now with nary a problem (using all of the clients you mention, on both Windows and OS X). I find popping from GMail much slower than any of my GoDaddy accounts. Occasionally I will hit a high traffic situation at GoDaddy, but typically the pop transaction is instant.

12. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

IMAP protocol superceded Pop3, especiallialy on multiple devices, that was most of the point of transition to IMAP, it is much better on multiple devices.