Mac Mail. Tiger to Snow Leopard problem

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by captainparanoid, Mar 17, 2014.

1. captainparanoid macrumors newbie

I have been using mac mail on my G5 imac running 10.4.11 to access a 1and1.co.uk email account via a BT net connection ( pop 2 ) for a number of years with no problems. I have also been using it to access a Freeola email account (pop) with the same BT server settings

I recently bought a new (re-furbished) Intel imac ( 2GHZ.3GB Ram) running snow leopard 10.6.8.

I transfered all my email folders/prefs/settings to the Intel imac
    The freeola (pop) account works fine send and receive but the 1and1.co.uk account (pop2) will not receive emails saying user name and password are not correct.

Yet the old imac (G5) mac mail still works fine sending and receiving from both accounts with the exact same smtp settings?

I want to just use the new imac for my mail, I have researched a lot on the net but can find no definitive answer why the same settings from 10.4.11 do not work on 10.6.8 ?

Thanks

2. Fishrrman macrumors G3

Something to try. NO promises that it will work.

Open Keychain Access (it's in the Utilities folder), and try deleting ALL your mail-related passwords. ALL of them.

Then sign into your mail accounts again.
    You will need to RE-enter your password information.

Does this change anything?
    (Aside: since your username is showing "wrong", as well, this may not help, but still worth a try)

Something else to try. Again, no promises.

On the NEW computer, go into Mail preferences and try setting up a COMPLETELY NEW account for the "1and1.co.uk account" that won't work.
    It might help to manually copy the info for incoming/outgoing server, port numbers, etc., for reference before you begin.

See if you can get the new account operational.
    Send some "test messages to yourself" back and forth to work things out.

If you can get the newly-created account working, import the old emails into it.

Yes, this will take some work and re-arranging and sorting, but it may get things working again.

3. captainparanoid thread starter macrumors newbie

Fishrrman

It worked :)

Thank you so much for your time

All the best