Mac Mail: Trash won't empty on exiting, even when told to do so.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MacProFreak, Jun 18, 2015.

1. MacProFreak macrumors regular

Does anyone know how to solve this problem?

In Yosemite, my trash folder inside mail was full of messages that should have been eliminated a long time ago, as I have Mail configured to empty that folder when quitting. Why doesn't it work? Accounts are all POP.

2. inscrewtable macrumors 65816

inscrewtable

have you tried selecting all the messages in the trash folder then deleting.

3. MacProFreak thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, but that defeats the purpose... I want the messages to be gone from the trash folder automatically when I quit mail, something that always worked prior to this disaster that is Yosemite.

4. inscrewtable macrumors 65816

inscrewtable

How about clicking on Menu>Prefs the the "Accounts" tab and highlight the mail account you want and then go to >Mailbox Behaviours, at the bottom is the Trash mailbox prefs where it says 'Permanently erase messages when:' and then there's a dropdown where you can select "Quitting Mail". But maybe selecting "One Day" that gives you a days grace would be better. Also you can uncheck 'store deleted messages on the server'

Are you saying you've done all that and it still doesn't work?

5. MacProFreak thread starter macrumors regular

Exactly.

6. inscrewtable macrumors 65816

inscrewtable

Could it be a pop issue, maybe the mail is deleted and redownloads from the server. Is this gmail?