Mac Mail truly painful

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Peter Franks, Sep 20, 2011.

1. Peter Franks macrumors 65816

Every day using this email programme, mail sits in the Outbox and refuses to leave, then one will send, and then a few minutes later when I try to send another one it will not leave.

Now, it's not my email provider, mail works fine on the iPhone, but only on the MBP do I have this problem. It's not the connection, Safari will be OK, I do lose connection on WiFi on occasion but then most people do with the MBP, but this is different because I am connected and am now having this every day. Is it just me or is Mac Mail just really lousy? When I first got this it was the password box that used to come up every day, and still does from time to time

2. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Sounds like a configuration problem with Mail - it's certainly not a common problem. I've got 3 mail accounts configured in mail (MobileMe, Exchange and Google) and all of them work perfectly.

Who is you mail provider?
    Are you using POP3 or IMAP for incoming mail?
    Are you using authenticated SMTP and / or SSL/TLS?

3. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

No Mail problems here with multiple accounts. I'd start by trashing all Mail related Keychain items. You shouldn't be losing wireless connection either; again clear out Keychain.

4. Paulywauly macrumors 6502a

Paulywauly

As already said, clear out your Keychain. I'd also remove and reconfigure your email accounts from Mail and re-add them

5. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

I'd agree it's most likely a configuration issue. Mail is quite stable & foolproof once it's setup correctly. I have five accounts on mine running without any problems.

6. BAC5.2 macrumors regular

Has to be a config issue. I have 5 accounts set up through IMAP, and it works quite well.

Try clearing keychain, and reconfiguring Mail?

7. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Damn! I thought you'd all say this was a common problem!!:eek:

Where would I clear out the key chain... does that just reset password,
    It's IMAP account

With regards to, SMTP and / or SSL/TLS? I think this was the setting that changed just after I got the MBP in May, because the password box kept coming up and asking me to add to keychain.etc and I found out the settings had been changed. so SSL is not ticked now, no. I found something on here at the time that said unticking would stop that from coming up, and it did, but it does pop up now maybe every day once or twice

And, as for losing connection, yes it does, daily. And it is the MBP not the connection
    Reason I know that is because the iPhone which is the worst for losing connection is still connected when the MBP goes offline