Mac mail using old SMTP server

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by YMark, Jun 11, 2013.

1. YMark macrumors 6502a

YMark

For a long time, my wife and I had an email addresses of xxxxxx@cox.net and yyyyyy@cox.net. I decided to get my own domain and email and now our email address are xxxxxx@domainname.com and yyyyyy@domainname.com.

The incoming mail server is imap.mydomain.com
    The outgoing SMTP server is smtp.mydomain.com

My email works great. However, if someone sends my wife an email they get a notice that the "Mail Delivery Failed". The following address failed: yyyyyy@cox.net. SMTP error from remote mail server after RCPT TO: yyyyyyy@cox.net. BUT, my wife does in fact get the email. But the sender doesn't know this.

I've looked at my wife's settings on her Macbook, and there is no SMTP server for Cox. I deleted it when I changed emails.

One more bit of weirdness. If I send my wife an email from my work email address, I get the Mail Delivery Fail message, although my wife does get the email. I get her reply too. But if I send her an email from my xxxxxx@mydomainname.com address, I don't get the Mail Delivery Failed message.

I'm stumped. Any ideas what the hell is going on? Cox is like a bad penny.

2. takeshi74, Jun 11, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2013

takeshi74 macrumors 601

Thought I had some comments but this is an odd problem and none of my comments seem relevant when everything is considered. Anyway, FWIW:

The SMTP settings on her Macbook aren't relevant.

Can you confirm that in all cases people are only emailing yyyyyy@domainname.com and not yyyyyy@cox.net as well (whether in the To, CC or BCC fields)? There's no forwarding set up between the accounts?

Does the delivery failure mention her Cox account or the new one? I'm not surprised that your new email account has no problems. This particular item sounds like a matter of DNS propogation to me. When did you set up the new domain and email accounts?

3. YMark thread starter macrumors 6502a

YMark

No, I checked. I know I'm sending it to her correct address from my work email and I'm getting the error message.

In fact, if my wife sends an email from her yyyyyyy@mydomain.com account and I REPLY from my work address, I get the same Message Delivery Failed message.