Mac Mail will not stop recovering the same message

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MichaelAmira, Nov 25, 2009.

1. MichaelAmira macrumors newbie

Hello!

I've been a regular reader amongst this forum, yet only now I post. Hope you guys could help me out!

So to the issue: I tried to send an email, not knowing it was 25mb, and obviously it did not go through. I deleted it out of my outbox, and since then it's been popping up in recovered messages non stop (current count is 96). I've deleted the files from the mail app, deleted the temporary files in the mac mail folder, deleted the contents of the deleted folder, and yet the application still "recovers" the message non stop.

Since this has happened I have not been able to obtain new messages from mac mail because it is busy with whatever it is doing
    Any advice? is there any way to disable recovery?

Thanks
    Michael

2. southerndoc macrumors 65816

southerndoc

I'm assuming you've quit the Mail app and rebooted the computer?

May also want to run these in terminal:

sudo periodic daily
    sudo periodic monthly
    sudo periodic weekly

3. MichaelAmira thread starter macrumors newbie

"May also want to run these in terminal:

sudo periodic daily
    sudo periodic monthly
    sudo periodic weekly"

I have rebooted the computer. I am very unfamiliar with terminal unfortunately. What is sudo periodic?

Thank you for the reply

4. southerndoc macrumors 65816

southerndoc

It deletes the temporary files/caches. Your computer will run them automatically every night if you leave it on. I think it happens around 2 or 3 am?

5. unmstudent1984 macrumors newbie

I too have been having the same problem from around the same day and time as the OP. I have left my computer on overnight, rebooted, and nothing seems to correct the problem. I'm debating taking this in to the apple store and seeing what they have to say.

6. MichaelAmira thread starter macrumors newbie

I actually fixed it. I deleted all the recovered mail and left it on for two days straight. If you click command 0 you see what the mac mail program is doing, and it seems that since I had 100 or so recovered messages at 25 mb each, deleting them, or moving them, whatever, was a huge task that needed to be sorted.

Anyhoo, click command 0 and most probably you'll see that the program is busy

7. unmstudent1984 macrumors newbie

I had my computer on for three days and had the same message recovered over 200 times. I took it in to the Apple Store and they just deleted the imap account and then set it up again. That worked and have no issues now.