Mac mail wont load or quit (Lion).

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by lesaux, Mar 25, 2013.

1. lesaux macrumors newbie

My mac mail seems to be stuck in a loop after opening the program yesterday. To my knowledge, I haven’t really done anything that would make the progarm act up, so I’m a bit at a loss here. In short, both my mail-inboxes seems to be endlessly loading (see picture). In addition, the mails once in the inboxes don’t seem to load either, and i can’t access mail in my various folders. So, nothing is really loading/working. To make matters worse, when i try to go to ‘settings’ the spinning ball of death appears and the program stops responding. I can’t close down the program either, but have to force quit it.

What is wrong? What can I do? And is there any way to fix this without losing my mails?

[​IMG]

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Give this a try.

Quit Mail app.

Click your Desktop then hit command-shift-g. This will popup a window. Paste the command below into the box and hit enter. Now delete the Envelope index files in that folder. Now restart Mail app. It will take a bit to reindex all the folders. Hopefully that fixes it. :)

Code:
    ~/Library/Mail/V2/MailData

3. Majenka macrumors newbie

Mail won't load

I have that problem and I tried to reindex the mail folder by doing the steps listed but I get the message the folder can't be found. What to do next?

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

What OS X version are you on? Earlier versions had that folder in a different spot.