mac mail won't open properly

Discussion in 'macOS' started by marcusosborne, May 29, 2010.

1. marcusosborne macrumors newbie

I'm using a G5 power PC running OS 10.5.8.

It's an old unit but hasn't caused me any problems in the past. But recently every time I open mail it seems to hang.

Basically I open mail either from applications or the dock. It opens but then all the icons across the top of the mail window are greyed out and all of the drop down icons at the top are also greyed out.

The 'loading' circle continues to spin but nothing happens. i cannot click on any of the mail in the inbox and I cannot do anything else.

With Firefox and mail open and the firefox window to the front, I can see the mail window behind but when I click on the mail window it doesn't come to the front.

Can anyone offer any advise on the problem and how to fix it?

thanks

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Whatever the cause of your problem, it has nothing to do with the age of your computer, its processor, or your OS. With no information about your email accounts or the messages that you may be attempting to download from their servers, we have nothing upon which to base a guess.

3. marcusosborne thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for your reply Misterme

Do you think then that it is possibly an issue with one of the emails in one of the accounts? If that were the case, why am I not having a problem with my office email?

If I force quit, open then force quit four or five times it seems to be ok. Right now it is working perfectly well. Does this help in anyway?

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

This has caused problems in the past.