Mac Mail

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Peter Franks, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Peter Franks macrumors 65816

Hi, just having few problems getting used to new MBP and wondered if anyone can help... I thought 'keep messages for offline viewing' meant when I had to clean up the server for more space those emails would stay on the Mac. But if I make it POP3 then it won't sync with the iPhone. Is there a way for keeping emails on the Mac even when I delete from server in Mac Mail with an IMAP account? Have messed with settings but makes no sense and my server can't help.

Also, Anyone out there know why new mail won't 'ping' even though it's set to as well?

Thanks

2. jive turkey macrumors 6502

I don't have many ideas so hopefully someone with more savvy than me will come along and help. I guess you could set it up to where you connect using IMAP via the phone and POP on your MBP, setting the server to not mark any messages as read when delivered to your MBP as POP. That would mean read mail on your laptop wouldn't be reflected on your iPhone though.

As far as not pinging, what mail server are you using? I have one that refuses to ping as well.

3. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Yep, Thanks, problem with POP is when I'm out and replying to emails from iphone, the sent items don't come to the MBP. With both set to IMAP, that process is working at the moment, but not ideal for keeping emails on the MBP.

The server is for my domain name business. It's not one of the hotmail/gmail gang. That's the problem. It's a business address. And the server needs to be cleaned out periodically to make space for new email. I was use to just having them sit on the old laptop, but on this they don't archive anywhere, when deleted off server, they just reflect the server, .... Is that the nature of IMAP no matter what, you can't keep them anywhere?

The pinging has never worked, even if open in dock, or actual page open, only had this couple of weeks

4. jive turkey macrumors 6502

As far as I know that is just the way IMAP works. To archive all of my IMAP mail, I set my server to forward all of my mail to a gmail account for safe keeping. It also automatically files all read messages into a separate folder after 60 days, which is a great feature and keeps the inbox fairly clean. You can do that straight from the Mail app using a rule. I employ that for my other domains and it does a great job of keeping the inbox tidy.

The domain I can't ping is one I own for a business as well, hosted by Dreamhost. I reluctantly have to set it to check for new messages every minute and sometimes I have to rebuild the inbox to get messages to show if I don't close Mail before putting my computer to sleep. That is why I was asking what server you are trying to ping, to see if perhaps you had the same company or setup.

5. velocityg4, Jun 10, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2011

velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

You will need to move the messages to local folders. Unfortunately if you have no POP accounts I can find no option to create these folders. While other e-mail programs have these available by default whether you use IMAP, POP &c.

Since space is an issue you can move over to the free version of Google Apps and transfer your domain and e-mail hosting. So that people can still send e-mail to the same address. It's just Google's servers take over the hosting instead of your current host. Then you will still have IMAP access with likely much more space plus the ability to sync your address book and calendar.

If you need more than 10 users or 7GB of storage you will need to get the paid version of Google Apps at $50 per user per year. I just made the switch without a hitch to the free version of Google Apps.

Free Google Apps
    Paid Google Apps

Edit: I should mention if you do transfer your e-mail host to Google Apps. You should choose the testing option for your e-mail accounts. Then with both open in Mail drag and drop the folders from your old hosts IMAP into Google Apps to maintain your folder structure. Then you can finalize the host transfer by letting Google change the MX entries so all e-mail addressed to you or others in your domain to the Google Apps account.

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

This is not a difficult problem. Use IMAP for your account and create local folders by clicking the little "+" button in the bottom-left corner of Mail. Drag all the messages you want to access locally into your local folder(s).

7. Peter Franks, Jun 10, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2011

Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks people, Dragging messages into a new folder sounds like the easiest option if they won't delete when they delete from server... so fingers crossed

Have another problem now, been working fine, but password box keeps coming up and have tried clicking the squiggle by Inbox, but password box keeps coming up repeatedly. It's not the server because they're coming into the iphone. Been working for couple of weeks, but stopped tonight? Very frustrating!

Edit....

i had the authentication set as 'MD5 Challenge-Response' which was the default setting, Tonight, I changed that to the one that just says 'password', and it seemed to solve it.

Can you please tell me which is correct, and what is 'MD5 Challenge-Response' and why did that work for when I set this up from new a few weeks ago, Could that be why the password box kept coming up tonight, why would that change all of a sudden? Thank you again

8. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Miles, When I create that folder, it's also gone to my iPhone. Is there a way to delete from there and just keep on MBP or will deleting from phone delete from Mac too. It'd be great to keep them on the Mac to refer to, but the phone will fill up quick.

9. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

When you add the folder, make sure the location is set to 'on my mac'

this is then used only on your mac, iOS devices dont know it exists

10. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Is that all I need to do, and they'll stay on the Mac, and not go to the phone?

Brilliant, thanks for that. That's a huge help.

Out of interest, I only need the one set of sent, trash, spam, but there are two in the MacMail.

When I add this new folder it goes to the bottom set of sent, spam, trash, etc.. Why is that, and any idea what they're for? Can it be set as a sub-folder to the main Inbox at top? Not major but that's what I'm used to. Thanks again

11. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

for the duplicate folders (sent etc), find which is the correct one you use, then highlight it, go upto the mailbox menu at the top, down this is an option to 'Use this mailbox for', point it to the proper sent etc folder, then you can just delete the others

unfortunately i dont think you can get folders to show up under the inbox, you can click the header (on my mac) and drag it further up if you want

12. Peter Franks, Jun 12, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2011

Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks, one last question....

Can you get 'day' on the list like Outlook, other than 'yesterday', 'today', then just dates. No, Monday Tuesday etc..

The use mailbox for, aren't highlighted options when I go there so, I've just deleted the ones below, so I have the ones I need up top, and they've also gone from phone too, which is good, but the phone hasn't got the 'junk' folder for some reason, just the inbox, draft, sentbox ?

Thanks again

13. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Anyone able to help on this, and the duplicate folders I deleted have all come back today....

14. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

Dont think you can get day on the list, it is only Today, Yesterday or dates

For Junk, not sure what the default is but sounds like it defaults to storing locally, go into Preferences and then the Accounts tab, select your mail account and click on the Mailbox Behaviours button, make sure the tick for Junk is there to store messages on server, this should hopefully make them viewable on your iPhone

For folders coming back, not sure, do you have web access to your mail, so you can test creating a draft, deleted & sent mail, then in mail select this folder and say use it for and delete the other one

15. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Hey Paul

Thanks

What happened was I went on to the server to delete old mail to make room for having IMAP account and soon as I did anything in there, when I went to iPhone and MacMail, all the secondary folders which are now Sent/Spam/Trash below the main Account up top, that I do use, have all come back

I think these folders can only be deleted if you are using a POP account maybe?

16. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

definately can be done with IMAP

I have my own domain email, setup as IMAP and i had to initially do the same as you, it was a pain

Another thing to check, have a look at the advanced settings for you mail on your iPhone, it has similar where you can specify which is the Sent etc folder

If you compare what your iPhone thinks is the sent etc to what your mac is showing, there hopefully will be a difference

(meaning, you delete on your mac, but iphone thinks that is the folder so re creates it), comparing both should fix it

17. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeh, I've got that too, my Domain email.

It's replicating the server, and I deleted from the Mac, but as soon as I did something on the server that's when they came back. I think all I did was send an email from the webmail. That's when all the defunct folders came back to the phone and Mac. Can you delete a folder from the phone or only the Mac?