Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tweeker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2011
Hi all,

I am a newb to the Mac computer as I just got an Air recently. I have had the IOS devices like iPad, iPod, etc...but not a computer.

I am wondering if there is a way to have the Mac Mail ( or another app ) perform like the mail does on the iPod/iPad. Does this make sense? Where it downloads only a few messages from Inbox, and you can load more if needed, etc etc. I would like it to perform just like this for my Gmail emails and Yahoo.

Any idea what I would do to accomplish this? Can this not be done in Mac Mail or is there any other application to try?

Thanks for anyone who can help. Much appreciated.

eric/

Sep 19, 2011
Ohio, United States
Go into the settings/preferences and take a look at the options. I'm pretty sure there is one in there that will allow you to only download message headers until you want the full email. But truthfully, with the MBA why wouldn't you just let your computer download the full messages?

eckndu

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2008
yes, this problem is what stop me from using mail.app with my emails. Maybe there is a setting somewhere, but I have not found it for as long as I had macs.
and there is almost no discussion about this anywhere.

I dont want to download 10000+ old emails. what ipad mail had is perfect. too bad mail.osx doesnt have that. but honestly nowadays we have internet access all day long, I really see no reason to use a mail client in a full capable computer, just use their own webmail interface+adblock and very soon you will get use to the UI and can have access of your mails from any PC.

tweeker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2011
Go into the settings/preferences and take a look at the options. I'm pretty sure there is one in there that will allow you to only download message headers until you want the full email. But truthfully, with the MBA why wouldn't you just let your computer download the full messages?

Yeah, I have looked forever at these settings, and have not found anything like this at all. i wish there was something. It certainly has made me hesitate to continue to use mail.app now as like eckndu said.

yes, this problem is what stop me from using mail.app with my emails. Maybe there is a setting somewhere, but I have not found it for as long as I had macs.
and there is almost no discussion about this anywhere.

I dont want to download 10000+ old emails. what ipad mail had is perfect. too bad mail.osx doesnt have that. but honestly nowadays we have internet access all day long, I really see no reason to use a mail client in a full capable computer, just use their own webmail interface+adblock and very soon you will get use to the UI and can have access of your mails from any PC.

Yep, totally. I have not found it either and I have spent most of my time looking since getting a Mac. I love what the iPad has done and just want that functionality on my Air as well.

If anyone has ANY ideas please give your input. Like eckndu said, there is very few discussions anywhere out there on this topic.

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
You can limit your GMail inbox to a set number of messages, but I'm not sure if Yahoo allows that or not. In GMail (IIRC) you only have options of 200, 500, 1000, or all messages (or something like that).

There's no way to control this from the client, though. You have to do it in GMail's web preferences.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.