Mac mail

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by GBruno, Dec 27, 2009.

1. GBruno macrumors newbie

Is there anything call mac mail or imail accounts sponsored by Mac? I am new to the mac. and I have a Gmail account and hotmail account. I am ready to drop hot mail account if mac support a mac account in the net. Hot mail I used for last 15 years. and I keep boot camp to login to windows. Another advantage in windows is Visio which you can use as a drawing tool.

2. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Welcome to the Mac.

Your Mac has a program called "Mail", which is an email client — it enables you to have your email delivered down to your computer, rather than having to go online (like to Gmail or Hotmail) to check it.

However, it seems you're also asking if Apple has its own email service, which it does. However, Apple's service (called MobileMe) is more than just email — it's a service that gives you 20GB of online storage, a website, push syncing of information between devices (like an iPhone), and many other things. Due to the vast amount of stuff included in MobileMe, it's a service that has an annual fee of $99.

Note that, if all you need is email (and not all the extra goodies that MobileMe comes with) sticking with Gmail is just fine.

3. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

I am confused.... Why do you use bootcamp to use hotmail?
    Hotmail is web based, so why don't you just keep it and use the website hotmail.com

4. GBruno thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys. Now I am using it. Hotmail still has a problem. That account got a different password which still I could not make it recognized by the system. If that happens problem is solved.

5. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

You don't need Bootcamp to use Hotmail - Hotmail should give you the authentication you need to set it up locally in Mail. Email isn't OS-specific. :)

6. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I wouldn't use Hotmail in Mail, if I were you. Use an email program that has IMAP, like Gmail.

7. leafsrule99 macrumors newbie

boo boo

Okay so i made a boo boo...on (BTW i am new to MAC)...i have a hotmail account and set up MAC mail but forgot to uncheck the option "remove from server"...so my entire hotmail inbox has been wiped to like 50 emails from like 2000

So i was researching and found out that i can move it all to GMAIL using the process mentioned on this site. Now i dont want to try it but do you guys think this will work?

http://www.amitbhawani.com/blog/how-to-transfer-hotmail-messages-to-gmail/

Also when i do go to GMAIL...does the auto sort emails and all of that automatically work with MAC Mail or not

Do let me know thanks. ALso if there is a better alternative i am all ears now