Mac Mails doesn't send e-mails anymore

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by iimaddyii, Oct 16, 2010.

1. iimaddyii macrumors newbie

Hello! I ask for forgiveness since now if I'm posting something that already exists and I couldn't find, but I wasn't able to find any helpful resource to fix my problem.
    I've always used Mail and I like it. I have three addresses, one of the provider, the other two belongs to my personal domain. They've always worked fine.
    Since two months they suddenly stopped to send e-mails.
    The error says there's a problem with smtp server. I tried to change smtp settings, I've edited mail settings, tried to set up another account and tried to download another app for mail: always the same problem. My mother, that has a mac too and an e-mail account with our provider, doesn't have any problem. So I tried to copy those settings on my MacBook Pro.. nothing.
    Then I used 'mail connection doctor' to see what's wrong, and it says:

"could not connect to this SMTP server. Check your network connection and that you entered the correct info in the Account prefs. Also verify that the server supports SSL. If it doesn't, deselect the 'Use SSL' checkbox in the advanced tab of account prefs".

Of course I did all suggested, but mail has the same problem.
    I thought it was a problem of the firewall, but it wasn't active! I really don't know what else to do. Any of you has /had the same problem? Any knows the solution? thanx!.

2. ThereseS macrumors newbie

This most likely means that your ISP has changed your SMTP settings. You may be able to google for them, but most likely, you're going to need to call them and ask for the server (smtp.whatever), the port number and if it supports SSL.

If you're sure you have the right settings, try creating an new user account on your mac (System Preferences>Accounts>Click the plus sign and fill it out) and setting up your mail there. This will eliminate a .plist or corruption issue with your mail folder- but I'm 99% sure your settings are wrong.

3. iimaddyii thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you, in fact my settings were wrong for alice mail.
    the other one keeps causing troubles.. well, at least one is fixed!

4. MatLane macrumors 6502a

MatLane

Check your outgoing mail server

Check for updated links

They may or changed something silly like......com to .net
    :apple: