mac maintenance

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jmpantalone, May 24, 2008.

1. jmpantalone macrumors newbie

Trying to find software for mac that will keep it running smooth

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

In general you don't need any. It'll look after itself, especially if you leave it on (and no sleeping) overnight every so often.

3. chas0001 macrumors 6502a

chas0001

4. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

When I first switched to Mac OS X I would run some maintance programs such as onyx, macjaintor et al. however as time went on I saw no advantage to running them. Now I haven't used a single program like that for about 2 years now and have never had any problems from doing so.

Mac OS X does take care of itself very well. If you want to kick OS X to run its own maintenance scripts then paste this into terminal

However as I said it will do it automatically by itself anyway so there really is no need.

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

My experience is very similar. About four years ago, I had a problem that was fixed by running File System Check (fsck -fy) from the command line in Single User Mode. However, user-initiated routine maintenance in MacOS X is a waste of time. If you use a commercial utility for routine maintenance, then you are also wasting your money.