Mac makes smoke come out of Watch

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by MatthewAbate, Oct 18, 2012.

1. MatthewAbate macrumors newbie

So i just bought this new Video HDR watch, and i decided to plug it into my Mac for the first time, then immediately Smoke began to come out of the watch and in 5 seconds my entire room was full of smoke. Then a pop-up came up and said that the watch was drawing too much power. Is there any way to plug this in without making it Smoke?:confused:

2. simsaladimbamba

Do you mean actual smoke, like from a fire or gas?
    And what exact "Video HDR watch" do you use, whatever that is?

And if actual smoke comes out of an electronic device, it sure is a sign of failure of some kind.

Just looked at your post history, you have seven posts, all made as original/starting posts in seven threads created by you, which makes me believe, you do not reply that easily.

3. MatthewAbate thread starter macrumors newbie

Smoke

Yes, it was real smoke, if my room had any smoke detectors they would go off. It is a brand called SecuriX DVR Watch, which says it should go into Macs, but i have had 2 of these and both of them had this problem.

4. simsaladimbamba, Oct 18, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2012

simsaladimbamba

What about just removing the SD card from the Nanny Cam and inserting it into your Mac's SD card slot and copying data off it that way?
    Anyway, if smoke came out of the device, then it is the device's fault and not the Mac's fault. USB does not deliver that much power to overload even cheap electronics and as the Nanny Cam is powered by its power supply or battery (which is more power than USB can provide), there is faulty electronics inside that thing. Did you get it used or direct from the manufacturer or a reliable store and paid roughly 180 USD?

5. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Unless your "Video HDR watch" is actually a computer controlled smoke machine, then you've fried the electronics. As mentioned by SImbalasimba, smoke coming out of electronic devices = bad times.