Mac Mall out of stock

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by prettydamnsweet, Jul 7, 2010.

1. prettydamnsweet macrumors newbie

I don't know how much to read into this, but I realized I couldn't wait any longer and went to MacMall to buy an 8core 2.66. I then got an message saying it was out of stock. This is giving me enough hope to think about waiting until Tuesday.

But here's my concern -- I NEED to have the computer by the 19th for a project. If they do announce them on Tuesday, what would be the soonest they would be available, and ship by? My local Apple reseller has an 8core 2.66 in stock - so that is my backup plan. Until then, I'll keep twiddling my thumbs with my EOL G5!

2. Vylen macrumors 65816

It's hard to tell whether or not Mac Mall being out of stock actually means anything. Since usually one place being out of stock when other places are fine means nothing. However, this can't be gauged properly when the Mac Pro is not a high-demand product (in comparison to the Mac Mini which went out of stock in multiple locations before its refresh).

Since they are out of stock, they would ask Apple about getting more - it could take a couple days before they find out how long it would take. Or never find out.

So if they do find out, it should be before next Tuesday and you can get the 09 Mac Pro just the same.

If by some miracle it is indeed a refresh incoming - I can't really say when resellers will get the hardware. The initial stock would go to official Apple Stores first, wouldn't they?

3. Deepshade macrumors regular

And Jigsaw24 have 117. Approx same amount as usual. So doubt very much if it is anything at all to write home about.

4. HurryKayne macrumors 6502a

even here in Florence.Italy no more "old" Mac Pro...,
    they're out of stock...
    since no more 4870 news..maybe som'thing is coming...
    right before new Imac...i suppose...:p

5. Vylen macrumors 65816

Interesting.. i think...

I suppose when people find it's out of stock in a particular store we don't bother to think too much of it cause, well.. it's a Mac Pro and I already listed the reasons above.

As a result we don't report it and have no "list" of places where it is out of stock all at the same time.

I think everyone should go wherever they can and ask about the stock they have on Mac Pro's :p

6. CoffeeGrinder macrumors newbie

This may not mean anything, but the Apple Store Mac Pro and Display refurbs are also all gone this morning. Don't read too much into this because it also happened right before WWDC and we all know how that turned out.

7. rmwebs macrumors 68040

Refurbs still showing on the UK store (which is usually pretty in sync with the US store as the 'Second Market' to Apple).

Really hoping this happens on Tuesday! Doubt it though :rolleyes:

8. Cavepainter macrumors regular

Saw that too.. but now they have some more. You know, looking around here and there, I think used Mac Pros are really hot right now.... they seem to be selling really well anywhere they're posted. ESPECIALLY the newer 2009s. That seems to indicate that others aren't terribly excited to pay what Apple wants to sell these things for. To me, that makes me think that others that have been waiting for the imminent-refresh-that-never-happens are finally giving up the ghost and buying something used, trying to get a significant discount. I think the final straw for many was WWDC.

One side note on the new/used Mac Pro debate:

I'm amazed that people would rather buy a used refurb computer thats sometimes a couple years old from the Apple website than buy a brand new one from a state that doesn't charge tax. Do they realize after tax (at least in California) they're only saving around 100 bucks? Do the math. Those used Pros on Apple's site are not that great a deal compared to a new one in a tax-free state. (Just throwing that comment out there. Choose to use it or ignore it, doesn't matter to me.)

9. reel2reel macrumors 6502a

reel2reel

In Canada (in my Province) the tax just got jacked up to 15% (!!) if you can believe it. That's combined Federal and Provincial.

The 8-core Mac Pro I've got sitting in my Apple Store cart right now is 4,718.00 CDN before tax. Add $708 onto that, yikes. $5425.70 (5,153.87 USD).

Just for fun, I configured the same Mac Pro at the US Apple Store and total is $4,069.00 ($4,283.44 CDN).

Not a productive day at work for me as you can see.

10. Durious macrumors 6502

heh I though spending 3500$ for my iMac was hard this morning! Anyway I'll assume based on your tax price your in Nova Scotia, you going to order that machine or just checking out taxes?

11. reel2reel macrumors 6502a

reel2reel

You're right! I'm in NS. I think some other provinces got a hike, also.

I'm itching to buy and just waiting it out like everyone else. This Mac will be more for personal use, not work, so there's no huge rush. Been saving for a while.

12. reel2reel macrumors 6502a

reel2reel

Congrat's on your iMac, btw! I'd get an iMac myself, except I need a matte screen and a PCI slot for an AJA video i/o card. Even though I've been saving for it, the thought of laying down that much of my own money will probably be a bit painful. It's the taxes that bother me more than Apple's pricing, but I guess it's for the greater good. That's what I'll tell myself anyway.

13. rmwebs macrumors 68040

15% is that All?! :eek:

We're going up to 20% here in the UK...and that DOESN'T include AppleTax™

14. Durious macrumors 6502

Thanks! Were still running at 13% but still about 450$ in taxes. Indeed tough seeing all that & drain away from ya. I do also prefer matte however I don't do anything that makes it a need, looking forward to seeing what you order! Cheers

15. strausd macrumors 68030

considering the MacBook Pro was updated in mid April, the MacBook in mid May, and the Mini in mid June, I would suspect something would be updated in mid July.

Of course, if you need it now then you should get it. But if you can wait til Tuesday, and even if they don't come out then, still have time to get one at the store that day and be fine on your project, then you should wait. But remember, if you do any sort of customization on the MP online, it will take longer for you to get it.

16. ValSalva macrumors 68040

ValSalva

As far as updates it's between the MacBook Air, Mac Pro, the iMac, or no update in July. I'm beginning to think the iPad has killed the Air. It seems more people are getting by with an iPad and a desktop of some sort. Even a good MBP can be used as a desktop. I think the Air is the odd man out.

I don't think there are any recent credible rumors about any updates this month :(

17. apolloa macrumors G4

And this was the exact reason I pushed myself to get my MB Pro ordered before the emergency budget last week. I knew it would be bad and was worried they were going to introduce the VAT rise this week or the day after the budget.
    Anyway we all have until January for big purchases. Not looking forward to petrol prices now though :mad::mad:

18. strausd macrumors 68030

I don't remember there being any big rumors about the new Mini either. And the MacBook rumor was right before the new ones were released. I do remember rumors about the MBP, but thats just cause it's much more popular. I think the Mac Pro should come before both of those. The iMac is in the 200s on its last update, and the MP and MBA are almost 100 days apart. So if one of these were to be updated soon, I'd hope for the MP.

19. rajbonham macrumors 6502

Very noticable events occurred before all of those updates. Before the MBP was updated, model numbers were revealed and it was out of stock at many retailers.

When the MB was updated, model numers were revealed beforehand. Finally, when the Mac Mini was updated, we saw low stock and backorders at various stores before the update.

So far, with the MP, we've seen drivers for the newer graphics cards. Other than that, not too much. I don't think we will see low/no stock at stores, since most don't even have the MP in store, or have very few on hand. Who knows if we'll see any other evidence before the update.

20. emmawu macrumors 6502

I've had nothing but bad luck with MacMall. You might try Amazon or a refurb.:)

21. strausd macrumors 68030

More stuff about the MBP before it came out because it was more popular.

With the MB, there was only one rumor and it was out only a few days before the new one, something like that can still happen with the MP.

As for the Mac Mini, there were no real rumors. Just low stocks which led many people to believe updates were soon coming.

The new drivers for GPUs definitely point to an update very soon, but not as much as the pictures and video of when the MB was updated. Also, all three of these seem to be more popular than the MP, which makes all these findings before they were updated make sense.

Personally, I think there is a good chance we won't see anything big before the new MP. Maybe some people speculating it a few days before, but I don't consider that big.

22. skyline r34 macrumors 6502

skyline r34

I just went to Mac Mall, an 8-core and Quad-Core Mac Pro's are generally in stock, So you can purchase one

23. skyline r34 macrumors 6502

skyline r34

Same here I don't like MacMall

24. hakuryuu macrumors 6502

Unless you are customizing at the store (Macmall will usually add ram or something in store if you ask) I would check with powermax.com.

Since they are in Oregon there is no chance in hell of paying sales tax especially if you aren't in Oregon. And they ship internationally so the only tax you would have to pay is any duties/fees imposed by importing. I've dealt with them before as I wasn't going to pay Apple Cali sales tax for my Mac Mini Server when it came out last year.

25. rmwebs macrumors 68040

I must admit...I did think about hitting the button....thankfully I was out and forgot :p

Yeah, not looking forward to the petrol prices...its gunnu hit at lest £1.20 :(