Mac MAME Cabinet

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MadDoc, Jul 5, 2008.

1. MadDoc macrumors 6502

MadDoc

I want to build an arcade cabinet to run MAME. It seems like a fun project - one that I (unfortunately) won't be able to start until Christmas when I return home from overseas, so I'm really just putting out some feelers.

I'm a Mac man (obviously) and would rather build the cabinet from scratch around a Mac. I was thinking about using a Mac Mini. I really have little experience with MAME (having only just recently come across it) but I'm fascinated by it.

Would it be too much hassle to use a Mac to run MAME in a cabinet? Should I just build a cheap PC? Would a Mini be up to running MAME at full speed? Are there any good front ends to use in a cabinet based on a Mac?

Thanks,

MadDoc

2. TomMadrid macrumors newbie

Macmame cabinet

I recently built a macmame cabinet using an older power pc with OS 9.
    I have over 300 games that play great. The system works well playing games
    from about 1980 to 1987. If you want more info e-mail me at
    madridt@gmail.com

-Tom

3. Apocrathia macrumors 6502

I currently have a mame cabinet that is run by a windows machine. i don't think finding the emulators should be too much of a problem, however has anyone found a suitable frontend for a mac based mame machine?
    on my current cabinet, i'm running mamewah, and it works very well. anybody know of anything similar?