Mac Man Drowning in PC Hell

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Onigiri, Sep 25, 2009.

1. Onigiri macrumors newbie

Say you were working at a design house and were the only Mac user. Further, suppose that you were the only one who appreciated clean, simple design in the workplace and the rest of the place was content just to sling cables everywhere and hook up hub after hub after hub to plug in more external drives rather than changing the way they work. How would you approach it?

2. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

Quit, start your own company doing basically the same thing, and show them that clean, efficient and Mac is the way to kick their butts.

Seriously, if it isn't your company and you're just a low-end worker, there is nothing you can do without looking like a jerk. Ignore it.

3. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

Every paycheck is an incentive to keep it to yourself.

4. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

The only thing you can do is keep your own desk clean. You don't want to start some stupid office drama because you asked some one to keep the office more "tidy" and to use Macs.

If I were one of your co-workers, I honestly wouldn't mind if you asked me to keep things cleaner around the office. But then again, my desk is completely spotless (although, I have to use a PC).

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Sounds like my iMac. :p

6. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

There is a way...

Analyze what everyone needs and wants out of the network and office system. Determine if it is drive space, server capacity (CPU cycles), etc. Take your findings, and determine what can be changed in the office to effectively reduce the clutter, the over head, and of course, the cost. Generate charts that show how moving to the new system would save the company not only time, but energy maintaining the network, backing things up, and be an asset to the company.

Now present these finding in a clear, non-judgmental way to the upper management who are involved in the decision making process of this area. Show them how they will SAVE MONEY. Maybe they will listen to you, maybe you'll get assigned the ask of implementing the project. Maybe you'll launch your new career. Maybe you'll be unemployed, but happy.

I would totally avoid mentioning anything about Macs unless you can prove it will be a big asset to the firm.

7. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

And mine. :D

8. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

And my MBP. I have 6 wires plugged in right now. :eek:

9. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

So do it! and a 4 port usb hub which has other components

I would be cable tieing all there messy pc wiring