Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

BongoBanger

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2008
Hmm... wonder how much of that was stimulated by searches for the iPhone or watching WWDC! ;)

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
Mac Marketshare Continues to Rise

Net Applications has published their latest numbers on browser and operating system marketshare. The numbers indicate that the Mac's marketshare, as reflected by their sample population, has continued to increase to as high as 7.94% in June.

These marketshare numbers are always a bit suspect as they are measured based on aggregated web visitors alone:
We collect data from the browsers of site visitors to our exclusive on-demand network of live stats customers. The data is compiled from approximately 160 million visitors per month. The information published is an aggregate of the data from this network of hosted website statistics.
Still, the numbers have shown almost steady increases, reflecting the same trend seen in retail sales data.

In addition, Net Applications reveals that 73% of visitors use Internet Explorer, 19% use Firefox and only 6.3% use Safari. Safari's marketshare, however, has also been on the rise from the lowest recorded figure of 4.71% in August 2007.

Article Link

avigalante

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2007
New York City
In addition, Net Applications reveals that 73% of visitors use Internet Explorer, 19% use Firefox and only 6.3% use Safari. Safari's marketshare, however, has also been on the rise from a low of 4.71% in August 2007.

Article Link

I'm sure that disseminating Safari to PC users has also been a big boost to its overall marketshare.

capoeirista

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2007
I wonder if this is due to more apple products (iPhone especially) being sold, or more PC users ditching IE in favour of Safari.

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
http://blogs.computerworld.com/iphone_browsing_marketshare_closes_in_on_1

iPhone is also gaining some ground. A few more months it will have passed linux...

or should it be folded into Mac Market Share

iPhone web presence will start rising again once Apple starts selling them again. They leveled off last month because Apple ran out, but once 3G goes on sale, you'll see it go up again.

If these kinds of gains continue (almost 2% in about a year), we could be seeing double-digit market share this time next year.

Reminder of course that in this context, when I say market share I mean installed base that is accessing the web. Still, not a bad statistic to look at.

amusiccale

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2007
I think the iPhone Safari will play a bigger role in the future as handheld devices and thin-client services become more prominent. Making inroads on the PC market is something, sure, but I don't know how much of a future there is in it, long-term.

BongoBanger

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2008
Nice but I wonder how much distortion is due to the announcement of the iPhone 3G and WWDC taking place, events that probably garner significantly more interest from Mac users than PC users?

SandynJosh

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2006
I've been a Mac fanboy since 1984 and all my friends know my interest. So, it's been really interesting to see more and more of my dyed in the wool PC friends putting Macs on their desktops.

The numbers of Mac laptops in the coffee shops compared to the peecees is usually parity or more these days. So, I suspect there is a greater groundswell of users outside of the enterprise users. I find myself wondering what may happen once the enterprise users users add iPhones to their mix...?

nostaws

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2006
I have nothing against Safari. But I primarily use Firefox on my MacBook Pro.

I don't know if the new version of safari supports this, but I really like how Firefox remembers my tabs, if it crashes, or my computer abruptly shuts down.

Plus I feel good supporting an alternative. Because the alternative is actually as good as IE or Safari.

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
It really surprises me how many people still run Windows. I don't think the Windows Fanboy base is 90%. It would have to be under 5%. I big percentage of that 90% are the lemmings Joe Dell users.

seashellz

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2004
HA! My sister, after years of needling, finally walked in and bought TWO MacBooks +Applecare- one for herself, for Nursing school, one for her daughter in college.

Actually, ive seen a lot of Mac Laptops bought when folks go trundling off to college, even though the home box is a PC

InkMaster

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2007
Nagoya, Japan
I have nothing against Safari. But I primarily use Firefox on my MacBook Pro.

I don't know if the new version of safari supports this, but I really like how Firefox remembers my tabs, if it crashes, or my computer abruptly shuts down.

Plus I feel good supporting an alternative. Because the alternative is actually as good as IE or Safari.

Safari does that too... Just far as I remember it doesn't give you an option to restore after a crash, you have to do it manually --- [History] -> [Reopen all windows/tabs from last session] --- It allowed you to do this since v3 was released if not mistaken...

15% by 2011!!!

...and if you're going down that route, 30% by 2012 :D

AppleMojo

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2007
It really surprises me how many people still run Windows. I don't think the Windows Fanboy base is 90%. It would have to be under 5%. I big percentage of that 90% are the lemmings Joe Dell users.

My Mother runs genealogy applications on a PC that are not yet available for the Mac, while my Father happily clicks away on his Mac.

My Sister and her husband have HP and Dell's as they are so very inexpensive and what they have been using for the last 10 years. To them, there is no reason to change, they don't believe they need anything that the Mac offers.

The majority of my other siblings have converted to Mac's over the past year or more as well as nearly all of my technical colleagues.

In the end, it's always personal preference.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
I think this is a major statement that the public is getting fed up with hard-to-use computers that require major hardware upgrades every few years and tech support people that don't even speak your native language.

You get what you pay for...

(my friend's STILL using one of those Blue G3 Towers with 10.3 on it :eek: )

ltldrummerboy

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2007
My mom just got a 24" iMac. I have a MacBook. Both of them were purchased in the last 9 months. I wouldn't be surprised to see at least 10% marketshare by this time next year.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
The front page article makes a misleading statement:

Safari's marketshare, however, has also been on the rise from a low of 4.71% in August 2007.

Which makes it sound like Safari's market share was higher at some point before August 2007. Maybe it was, but since August 2007 was the first month for which they provide statistics, it shouldn't be called "a low."

Or maybe I'm just being too picky.

Beric

macrumors 68020
Jan 22, 2008
Bay Area
Sweet!

Go Mac!

I wonder how high it can go? It might help to have a mid-level upgradeable desktop, to attract less-rich of customers, though.

tuneman07

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2007
I just bought my first Mac (Macbook) a few months ago and I am just completely blown away. This increase in market share doesn't surprise me- what surprises me is that people still buy PC's. All my friends are thinking about Mac now that I have one and they have used it, heard my glowing reviews etc... my parents are set on buying a Mac within the next year or so. I just never realized there was a computer that worked all the time and never came up with any nasty surprise problems 15 minutes before something really important needs to be done :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.