Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mpshay

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2008
Florida
I love the latest version of Plex. Takes a little playing around to get comfortable with it but once you do it's great.

The previous mini will play 1080P. I've got 2 of them and have watched numerous Bluray rips at 1080P. However, that did not stop me from ordering one of the new ones on Tuesday. I plan to demote the lowest spec current mini to file server duty.

Not trying to turn this into a Plex thread, but between the beautiful interface and the fact that it pulls movie meta data from IMDB (no more metax) made dealing with the intial learning curve worth it.

robotartfashion

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I've wanted to hook a mini as a htpc for some time now. But only recently, I've noticed that front row is kind of bland and not as full featured as Apple TV. I can't say much for plex, but using a 3rd party app doesn't excited me. I'd seriously consider getting an updated ATV when they come out, especially since you know boxee is going to work on it again eventually (I love hulu)!

PLEX is leaps and bounds above Boxee, unless you're pumped about the community features of it

Also, the new releases of PLEX have a full functioning app store, including multiple video streaming apps, the best of which is...yes, you guessed it HULU and it works!

check it out, the initial learning curve is there, i just about pulled my hair out for the first 2 days and then it clicked, magically! and now it has no peers, awesome

i have tried boxee and xbmc and its just better than them hands down

the interface is much better looking than front row btw

mullman

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2004
NC
PLEX is leaps and bounds above Boxee, unless you're pumped about the community features of it

Also, the new releases of PLEX have a full functioning app store, including multiple video streaming apps, the best of which is...yes, you guessed it HULU and it works!

check it out, the initial learning curve is there, i just about pulled my hair out for the first 2 days and then it clicked, magically! and now it has no peers, awesome

i have tried boxee and xbmc and its just better than them hands down

the interface is much better looking than front row btw

Question is, can it be setup with a simple remote and not need a KB or mouse?
(ala the old TV+Boxee+Hulu)

I need it to have a high WAF and be kid friendly. :)

How come Plex is 'allowed' to stream Hulu, but not Boxee?
Or is it only a matter of time?
Will Plex stream Netflix?

mpshay

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2008
Florida
Plex will meet the WAF. Works great with a remote. Once setup, no harder to use than Frontrow, but much more powerful and way better looking!

robotartfashion

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Question is, can it be setup with a simple remote and not need a KB or mouse?
(ala the old TV+Boxee+Hulu)

I need it to have a high WAF and be kid friendly. :)

How come Plex is 'allowed' to stream Hulu, but not Boxee?
Or is it only a matter of time?
Will Plex stream Netflix?

k, :)

1) Yes, I use a Harmony 880 with it and it works just fine, i still break out the keyboard to quickly do some more intensive things, but the Harmony works great

2) I don't think Plex has entered into any partnerships Ala' Boxee, it has just created a plug-in which captures the streams that you would see if you were surfing the page on the internet. They work hard to keep the plug in working great so I don't see that stopping

3) No, at this time there is no Netflix plug in, but who knows what the future will bring :)

3)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.