Mac memory issues

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Cyrid, Aug 17, 2012.

1. Cyrid macrumors newbie

My Mac 10.5.8 has 149 gigs of memory. I currently have 7 gigs used. However, I am getting a system message that says I am out of memory. When I look at my hardrive, it confirms that 149 gigs are used. But when i look at each folder in the hardrive and add up the gigs, it only comes to 7 gigs. There are no other volumes in the Mac. The only thing that is mounted on the MAc is a 2.7 tb storage volume which should have nothing to do with the hard drive. Any advice on what is going on here?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You mean you have 149GB of disk storage space, not memory, which is RAM.

For space issues, there are a few things you can try, some of which may or may not apply[/B]:
    Here are a few resolutions found by others with the same question:
    Freeing up space in Mac OS X

How OS X and iOS report storage capacity

3. Cyrid thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply. Not much luck though. Tried Sleepimage, activity monitor, verify/repair disk, re-indexing and a few other that applied. Can't download Omnidisksweeper because I have no more storage left to download anything. I have been through every folder and can't find anything out of the ordinary or large enough to be causing this. Right now I'm dead in the water with his server. Any additional suggestions would be appreciated.

4. smirk macrumors 6502a

smirk

GGJstudios is right on. You need to find out what is filling up your drive -- that's paramount.

JDiskReport is a Java program; I don't think you need to run an installer for it to work. So download it to an external drive or flash drive and run it from there. Find out what is taking up all the space.