mac memory sticks

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by bare spots, Jan 25, 2014.

1. bare spots macrumors newbie

wondering if memory sticks are interchange-able between g3 and g4 imacs? upgraded the memory in a g3 that's around here somewhere, forgot what i put in but pretty sure it's more than what i got in this machine of current use g4), short of buying one, idea came to mind to use it from the g3. sounds far fetched i know and most likley no but i have no idea so thought i'd ask. thanks

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Some G3 RAM will be interchangeable in some G4s.
    But, to know for sure, you will need to tell us exactly which G3 (beige G3, Blue & White G3, iMac G3, iBook, etc.) and exactly which G4.
    For example, a MDD PowerMac G4 will NOT interchange RAM with any G3. The RAM is physically different. You may find that USUALLY if you can insert the RAM stick into the slot, it should work. There will be some exceptions to that, too.
    So, tell use which exact Macs you have.

3. bare spots thread starter macrumors newbie

don't really know what the g3 is atm. think baige cube 99, will have to look it up, it doesn't work (pretty sure it had crt problem, overheated). i was reading article in this site somewhere about the different g4's, so trying to figure out which one i have. looks like there's a list of 3 different models that take certain memory. looked up my serial number and it gave me further info but nothing from that i was able to match up from the list of 3 in the article. going keep looking but is there a simpler way to tell? btw-the g3 packed away, did locate it, wouldn't take to long to dig out. did find one of the memory strips out took out of the g3 when replaced, looks like the same type if not similar that list in my profiler for the g4. on it has -128 MB. SDR DIMM, H in in my profiler on my g4 memory installed current it's -SDRAM and for slot -DIMM although after the the dimm i got the letter and number j20 and j22 but thinking a location number or something, maybe. anyway not to take up anyones time, sorry, didn't think it be this involved (yikes) but is there any numbers that would be helpful i could find to post to tell what i have? thanks

----------

not sure if the number 7450 helps for the g4.

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

7450 is a type of G4 processor. You may find the application "MacTracker" of use. It shows all available specifications of Macs in a great design. What a great application!

5. bare spots thread starter macrumors newbie

had no luck figuring it but looks like i'm gonna have to in and check things out. seeing now in system profiler under diagnostics, it showing a memory slot fail on power up self test. don't know where the ram is or how hard to get at but i hope it's not to involved. not sure how long it's been like this but little baffled though according to specs elsewhere the memory showing. maybe there's a way somewhere to tell me, gonna look around but in meantime is there a way? anyone? thanks

6. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

A G4 iMac has a round base, with a chrome neck to the LCD screen.
    The "7450" processor would mean the older generation of that iMac.
    (Some call those "flowerpot iMacs" :D )
    Is that what you have?

There's one memory slot underneath the metal bottom cover, and it's easy to get at. The RAM in that slot is a SODIMM, like laptop memory. There's one other slot, but you have to open up the case. The bottom is removed, not just the thin metal cover. And, that memory is standard desktop SDRAM. If you do have a G4 7450, then each slot can take a maximum of 512 MB, total of 1GB. The newer iMac G4 has a 7455 G4, and can have up to 2 GB installed.

7. bare spots thread starter macrumors newbie

hopefully it's the easy one. have a j20 and j22 slot, j22 is the one list as memory fail, hopefully that's the easy one. imac mentioned sounds like what i got or very very similar. having problems pinpointing exact build. right now i'm it's at 512mb (2 of the 256 sticks i take it) or should be, not counting the fail. also 8oo mhz and i'm also showing powermac 4,5. production yr., 2003. liking sounds of it taking standard memory. got my old g3 cube out before, don't know if it will fire up but curious to see what memory i installed, might be what i need. hope it starts, get the memory reading. DeltaMac, help and reply much appreciated.appreciated

8. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Yes, the RAM is a standard size/speed - but gets older all the time (and less easy to find). You would need PC-133 chips. I have Apple's service manual for that iMac, and it is not very clear about which slot is which. I THINK that the j22 will be the user-accessible slot, so here's how YOU can do this. Take off the bottom plate (4 small screws, which you just loosed, no need to remove), and you'll see the memory chip, just gently push the clips apart, and the card will come up and out. Boot up with that chip OUT. Check in the System Profiler/Memory tab. You should just see one memory slot filled. Power back off, then re-insert the card that you removed. Boot up again, and check the System Profiler. It MIGHT be fixed just by reseating. But if that memory error recurs, and the same slot again, then you know that you will need to replace that card.

9. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Question, using what process did you come to the number of 7450 for the G4?

10. bare spots, Jan 26, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2014

bare spots thread starter macrumors newbie

teminal app., just went back in, ppc 7450 is the machine # it gave me.

11. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Terminal will report that for any non-7400/7410 G4 machine. Because of this, there is no way of telling which G4 iMac you have because they'd all register as having a 7450 G4. The 7450 is the CPU family, all 744X and 745X G4's report themselves as 7450's. Could you tell us the model ID by typing "sysctl hw.model" into the Terminal?

12. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

OP, in post #7 called the Mac out as a PowerMac4,5 - which matches up to an iMac G4, 17-inch, 800 MHz - which matches up with the other figures that has been posted.

13. bare spots thread starter macrumors newbie

tracked down a model # from my serial number the other night. not sure if that's the same id,. will check it out terminal but number sn is m6498. for checking to see the failed ram reading i'm getting. was thinking or looking in to if could try and do a diagnosic test, anyone think it would give any type of info on how, why or when this occured, or some kind of info? gonna check that terminal.

----------

didn't see your post, but did come back powermac 4,5

----------

sounding like standard memory in the machine. can't wait to see what's in this g3m think i went big at the time and went for 512.

14. bare spots, Jan 26, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2014

bare spots thread starter macrumors newbie

just came across something interesting. mentioned g4 taking 2 different types of ram. i'm getting a reading in profiler of same type installed and what i read mentioned different memory for the slot i'm getting the fail on. bought used and think they mentioned memory was installed. not certain if they did or not but somethings not right. can anybody with a g4 reading go into there profiler and under hardware contents check to see if the type of ram is listed in some way different? i gotta look into more, thanks btw- i'm showing sdramm for both slots,

15. bare spots thread starter macrumors newbie

never mind on checking, don't think that's gonna be of help. thanks

16. bare spots thread starter macrumors newbie

not knowing my machine type/ram been getting the best of me but today think i finally got it pegged. came up with a g4 flat panel, 17 inch with a ge force 4mx graphics card (like the sounds of the latter btw, gonna have to check that out) and key i think to matching up the memory is seeing my machine as or with AGP (don't know what means think it's important for the memory type). as while i'm here might as well mention that i got looking into fail power on startup (mentioned above)) and and poss reasons. time was short but found what i thought interesting, found something about the banks of chips in the memory and/or being to a certain spec. of which might i'm thinking could pertain to me and and/or my issues. lot for me to pick-up but read of a certain way of the banks being, 2 banks of 8 and so forth. like mentioned was a lot to read and pickup but after seeing this and what i been able to understand over the last couple days. on after seeing this fail test, starting to wondering if i have the rt ram at this time. idk, meantime not sure if the g3 memory is gonna be doable yet, gonna have to make some calls, try and track down the ram i need in case. hoping when i do, i get lucky and find someone on the other end that wants to offer up some help and knowledge to some questions on this ram, types of ram that would love to ask. that is if they are up to it , (if not have a nice day, see ya), hopefully they are game and some enlightenment on some answers i seek. thanks all for the .help btw-on side note was reading about these memory sticks, lot of it was over my head but it described what the some of the chips would look like under a microscope. amazing stuff, would love to see how they build, make, tools used etc. see how it's done. this was from a few yrs ago, would think things would be more advanced today, good stuff.

17. bare spots thread starter macrumors newbie

didn't quite pick up on this the other day sorry but after being able to pinpoint the mac i have, believe it or not i'm getting this now about terminal.t it. and around and around we go, thanks might as well add came up with ram needed being of the 144 pin count. (question now to myself-where are the pins)