Mac Memory?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by crucesignati, Feb 12, 2009.

1. crucesignati macrumors newbie

crucesignati

Hello All,

Recently got an iMac (Aluminum 20") and am looking to upgrade the memory. I priced the RAM at the Apple store and online (Crucial and New Egg) and found Mac Memory to be priced 6x-7x higher for exactly the same specifications.

See below:

4 GB 800MHz DDR2 (PC2-6400) - DIMM

Apple: $300.00
    Crucial: $51.99
    New Egg: $89.99

Can anyone shed light on this disparity?

I appreciate the value of good hardware and am prepared to spend money if it's worth it, but this seems silly.

Cheers!

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Apple overcharges for RAM.

Go with the Crucial.

3. JustGretchen macrumors 6502

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Apple doesn't lower prices while a line is available. That was the price of everyone else's RAM when the computer came out. Everyone else lowered their prices.

Yes, we do. They don't lower their prices from that of launch day, thus their prices stay higher; they're not marked up.

5. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Even then, they're a little higher, since they factor in installation.

6. dolphin842 macrumors 65816

There's a really good deal on Corsair 4GB ram from newegg: $29.99 after rebate and promo code EMCLNMN36 :eek:

Corsair 2x2GB RAM

If only my iMac could take 4GB.... :(

7. bronconash macrumors newbie

just upgraded my Macbook Unibody 2.4Ghz from 2gig ram to 4gigs with Crucial ... its working great ... I'd say go with Crucial

8. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Crucials the best, reliable quality and usually fast delivery, the only downside is price but its worth every penny, or cent depending where you live.

9. dolphin842 macrumors 65816

Crucial, Kingston, and OWC all have good warranties and have never let me down. Then again, maybe I'm just lucky, as I had some off-brand ram in a PowerBook and it never complained.

10. crucesignati thread starter macrumors newbie

crucesignati

Thanks!!

Thanks guys - you confirmed what I thought. Appreciate the quick responses. :)

11. JustGretchen macrumors 6502

I fully disagree with this statement, unless by "everyone else" you mean Dell, HP, etc... That specific type RAM for his machine was never as expensive as 300 dollars for 4gb kit...even when it first came out.

Look at the DDR3 1066 notebook stuff that is out now...it's the latest and greatest and it's still under 100 bucks for 4gb kit