Mac Memory

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by cooperdiem, May 1, 2009.

1. cooperdiem macrumors newbie

cooperdiem

I'm a photographer and am not all that familliar with Mac.
    I have recently learned how to use iPhoto's many functions.

So my question is: After I've imported all of my pictures into iPhoto do I need to keep all of my files and folder of those images in my finder or can i get rid of them because it's now a part of iPhoto?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

That isn't memory.

And no, iPhoto doesn't work like that, sadly. If you delete them from wherever they are on your computer without properly adding them to the iPhoto Library, you won't have them there anymore; just broken thumbnails.

It's REALLY annoying, because you can't just copy pictures into the iPhoto Library and delete the ones you had outside the library.

3. cooperdiem thread starter macrumors newbie

cooperdiem

how can i properly import photos so that i can get rid of "repeat files" that take up space on my hard drive?

4. upaymeifixit macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

Boy What's Wrong With you?

He can too delete the pictures!

Sorry about that.
    Yeah, If you Import the photos into iPhoto they are copied into the iPhoto.app. In some ways I like this and some I don't.

If you are worried about it test it on one picture.

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

No, they aren't. You can't just drag photos from somewhere on your hard drive into iPhoto and then delete the photos. They do not copy to the Library, and only thumbnails are left over.

6. BobZune macrumors 6502a

Under iPhoto (iPhoto 08, v 7.1.5 is what I have) menu FILE -- IMPORT TO LIBRARY should import and keep a copy in the library (under your home folder, PICTURES -- IPHOTO LIBRARY but you have to right click and SHOW PACKAGE CONTENTS and navigate to ORIGINALS and follow the organization by year-month-date etc to get at the originals.

For some useful utilities, websearch for --> iPhoto Library Manager

If your photos are important at all, you should have at least one separate backup/archive of the originals, rather than letting any specific software environment (e.g., iPhoto) manage them solely.

7. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

Yes they do.... at least mine do.

8. webgoat macrumors 6502a

webgoat

yes they are copied to ~/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Originals
    you can delete the source pictures that you imported

9. cooperdiem thread starter macrumors newbie

cooperdiem

IM just a noob.

after importing my images, the thumb nails apepar broken and i can no longer view any of the images.

thanks for all the help so far everyone.

10. alhajis macrumors member

There is an option on iPhoto that ask you if you want iPhoto to copy the files or just link to them. I prefer just to link to them than copy them, iPhoto convert alll my raw files to jpeg which i don't like.

11. rikoshay macrumors member

rikoshay

As a longtime Mac/PC user(20 years) and photographer(58 years) I can tell you that it's best to have more than one copy of your photos. Import them into iPhoto & burn the originals to DVD(s). When you're SURE that all of the exports & copies are good, THEN you can consider deleting the originals. At this point, if you're of a mind, you can sacrifice a goat, fair maiden, or whatever, to appease the various evil forces & circumstances that threaten your 'works of art'.

12. cooperdiem thread starter macrumors newbie

cooperdiem

Broken thumbnails....still

how can i repair my thumbnails. as of now i cant view any of my images. help.

13. BobZune macrumors 6502a

If it is just the thumbnails that are the problem, you can use Cocothumbx to delete the thumbnails - which should be recreated automatically.