Mac Messenger Connection Issues

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Confuzzeled23, Jun 27, 2009.

1. Confuzzeled23 macrumors regular

Hey Everyone,
    I have been using my Macbook for about 4 months now and I have been trying different MSN applications, but I keep coming back to Mac Messenger as I think it is the one that looks the best and feels more at home as to say to the Windows Version. However, I am always getting signed out and at times I cannot send messages as it keeps saying, the message cannot be delivered. I was wondering if these connection issues are just normal bugs and short-comings of the Mac:Messenger App.

I have even tried using Parallels just to use Windows Live Messenger, it works. But I don't like my fan constantly running and losing computer performance just for my IM client. Wondering why Microsoft cannot just do a direct port of Windows Live Messenger with all the same features, just as Apple does direct ports of iTunes and safari. They look the same and work the same, I don't care about MSN looking Mac-ish, just want equal functionality.

Anyway, just wondering if these connection issues are normal, and not just something wrong with my Macbook, as I have been having numerous Wi-Fi issues, with it not connecting after sleep and having to turn on and off Airport for it to reconnect.

Thanks for any replies.:apple:

Attached Files:

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Do yourself a favor and delete that Microsoft crap off of your computer and either rout your contacts into iChat or download Adium.

No more headaches; guaranteed. :D

3. Confuzzeled23 thread starter macrumors regular

I have tried Adium. Only shortcoming is the fact that I cannot use my usual custom emoticons that I use religiously on MSN. Also, wish the chat box was more of a MSN layout with the display pictures having their own boxes.

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Do you absolutely need to have audio and video chatting? If not, go ahead and rout your MSN contacts into iChat and use iChat's interface.

5. Confuzzeled23 thread starter macrumors regular

Actually, I don't use Audio or Video, if I do I have Skype. Know of any directions for using iChat. Also, read about not being able to file transfer when routing contacts to iChat?

Is this true?

6. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

That's true, and it's probably the only annoyance with which I deal (albeit very sporadically, and I just e-mail them the file thereafter, so it isn't a deal-breaker).

What you want to do is download Psi. It's a Jabber client, so set up a new Jabber account. Link to (there are several with the MSN transport, but the one I use is: njs.netlab.cz , so that's what you want to use.

Here's a good tutorial. It explains a lot of what I can't remember. Good luck!

7. Confuzzeled23 thread starter macrumors regular

Hey,
    I got it set up, and all my contacts are showing, but they don't have their names anymore it is name%hotmail.com@jabber address. Is there a way to display their msn names?