Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Captain Planet

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 24, 2007
Canada
Hey everyone, I've been having problems signing in to MSN Messenger (Mac version) since late this afternoon. I have no idea what's causing this... nor do I know how to fix it. Earlier this morning, I had no problem signing in, but now I just can't. I know it's not my internet connection. I tried re-installing the program but it's hopeless. Has this happened to anyone? Does anyone know how I could fix this? Thanks in advance!

Captain Planet

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 24, 2007
Canada
Alright, so I tried downloading aMSN, but it doesn't seem to connect either. This is strange... so it can't possibly be both of those programs not working... but what's causing this?

kuwisdelu

macrumors 65816
Jan 13, 2008
Hmm. You could also try Adium or iChat. If even those don't work, then it's not the programs. It's either your account, the MSN server, or something amiss in your internet connection. I don't use MSN so I don't have any other ideas.

Airplanepics

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2008
London
Strange... I've got exactly the same problem! My account won't work on any computer whilst I've tried others on my mac and they work!

I've emailed Microsoft, I'll see what they say.

Retired
May 16, 2006
I had the same problem with Adium, adding these to DNS under the Network pref pane->Advanced fixed it :)

picture1cb87d.png

Captain Planet

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 24, 2007
Canada
Alright, I couldn't connect on MSN on my PC either. And from what I see, I'm not the only one with this problem... so I'm guessing there's not much I can do. :( I hope this problem gets resolved real soon.

Retired
May 16, 2006
Alright, I couldn't connect on MSN on my PC either. And from what I see, I'm not the only one with this problem... so I'm guessing there's not much I can do. :( I hope this problem gets resolved real soon.

Have you tried the DNS thing I posted above?

While mine was not working, meebo.com worked, so try that :)

01jamcon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2006
London
Ok, I had the same problem, and on mac messenger it still doesn't connect. Try these first.

1) Try logging onto a web msn client like meebo or ebuddy to make sure it isn't a problem with your msn account.
2) When you try on a pc or another account, check what the msn service says, it isn't always reliable, but sometimes it can depend on that.
3) Check that your firewall settings allow msn on both your mac and pc, including any extra firewalls such as zonealarm.
4) If the problem on the mac persists, try adium, adium for some reason allows me to connect on my mac, but not using msn for mac. Strange, I know.
5) To fix it on the pc, you should usually get an error code when the login fails, google the error code number and you should find a few fixes for it. The fixes I've found tend to require some command line input, but I have managed to temporarily fix it by clearing all my cache and cookies from the browsers I use then disconnecting and reconnecting my router. This only worked for a while on my pc only. I did however find a more permanent fix on google.

Hope these help.

Airplanepics

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2008
London
Not sure about the opening poster (Sorry for hijacking your thread!) none of the above solutions seem to work! :-(

I think it's something to do with a server on the other end . . . I've tried a different email address which works fine!

I really don't want to set up another new account, but I feel that this may be the only option!

Retired
May 16, 2006
I'm not sure I understand what it is you did...

Its been working for me after I did this:

Go to System Preferences->Network->(I'm in the Airport bit)->Advanced->DNS->Click the + sign->Add these ones

picture1f7bc6.png

Not only is mine working, but plenty of my friends are online, and Meebo worked even before the DNS thing, so its not that MS's servers are down.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
I'm online with it too. However, there has been times where me and my mates haven't been able to sign on where as other folk I know in different countries have been able to.

::Lisa::

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2007
Nottingham, UK
I would of imagined that it was MS's servers as my Mac:Messenger has been logged in without a problem all day, so has husbands account. It did boot me twice today though but connected up straight after. *shrug*

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.