Mac Messenger Problems

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Philligan, Mar 31, 2010.

1. Philligan macrumors newbie

Hey,
    So earlier today I thought I'd download the new beta version of Mac Messenger, version 8. After installing it, it was really buggy - freezing and whatnot, basically not working at all. I tried to reinstall the older Messenger, 7.0.1 I believe, and it wouldn't let me, because it said the "messenger daemon" was in use. When I finally found the messenger daemon, I couldn't open it, force quit it, or delete it, and yet it's in use. So I can't use the current messenger, and can't get rid of it/install an older one.
    Anyone know what to do?
    Thanks, this is really ridiculous and I'm looking forward to getting this cleared up.

2. fullojellybeans macrumors regular

to stop the daemon from running try restarting your computer in safe boot so just the core system runs. then uninstall messenger and reinstall the old.

that beta version of 8 is so poorly built, even trying to change the picture that displays for the user produces a crash.log

to boot into safe mode, just hold down left Shift while starting the computer. once you restart it should boot back to regular mode.