Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cfs

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 8, 2008
I am on the market for a mouse and keyboard for my new macbook. I am not looking to go all out and don't mind it if it is used.

I was just wondering, are all older mac kyboards and mice compatible with trhe current mac computer models?

-cfs

Cameront9

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2006
I am on the market for a mouse and keyboard for my new macbook. I am not looking to go all out and don't mind it if it is used.

I was just wondering, are all older mac kyboards and mice compatible with trhe current mac computer models?

-cfs

Pretty much any USB Mouse/Keyboard will work.

And I would say "all" older mac keyboards would work, but certainly any of those from the last 5 years or so. Any USB keyboard will work fine.

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
As you've been told, pretty much any USB keyboard and mouse should work OK. However, I would strongly recommend obtaining an Apple keyboard rather than go with a run of the mill USB keyboard which for the most part are designed primarily for Windows use. You're going to need specific keys such as the CD\DVD eject, Command, Option, and the various keys for F and FN functions.

While there are equivalent keys that you can use on any USB keyboard, it can and will become confusing. As for the mouse, any USB two or three button mouse works fine. I'm using a Logitech optical with my MacBook and an Apple wired aluminum keyboard.

Regards.

steeler

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2008
I second the suggestion of getting an Apple USB keyboard. You should be able to find several on eBay. That's where I bought mine when I needed one to replace an old Mac keyboard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.