Mac Microsoft Messenger 7

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by EntryLevel, Jul 6, 2008.

1. EntryLevel macrumors newbie

I just downloadede Microsotft Messenger 7 for my macbook pro but I found out one problem that I don't see any Video Conversation in the MSN. Did anyone knows how it works to get the Video Conversation?

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Microsoft do not currently support audio or video chat in Messenger:mac.

3. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Well technically they do, for the Business Accounts. But not for personal use. So yeah, to all extents and purposes as far as the home user is concerned, no.

Just thought i'd clarify anyway.

4. MisterEd macrumors 6502

I believe they have announced that the next version will though... about 2 years too late!

Ed

5. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

You mean about 8 years too late.

6. EntryLevel thread starter macrumors newbie

Based on my research, the video call will only work for Corporate Account or you need a Microsoft Communication Server 2008 to use the video call. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

7. Am3822 macrumors 6502

Am3822

This whole thing puzzles me and I would appreciate an explanation -- as far as I can tell (based on my own experience), the current version of messenger for windows supports both audio and video for *all users* (the quality is another matter). What's the reason, then, for the differentiation between regular and corporate users under OS X?

8. Eric Lewis macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

9. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Corporate Account, Business account, same thing as far as I'm concerned.

Either way, it means we don't have the feature. :(

10. EntryLevel thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok guys, I just found out something. Let's check it out!

MSN cannot make web cam contact but I software can make web cam contact and that is aMSN.

If you guys have interest on web camming by using aMSN please check it out at here:-
    http://www.amsn-project.net/download.php

Please let me know your opinions here.GOOD LUCK

11. Am3822 macrumors 6502

Am3822

I used aMSN 0.96 (the current version is 0.97RC1) about a year or so ago, and I wasn't overly impressed as it was sluggish and tended to freeze on my MBP2.33.

There's an adium add-on called MeBeam which is supposed to add video abilities in some roundabout way, but I haven't had the chance to use it yet.

12. jc1350 macrumors 6502a

For clarification - in MSN speak:

a corporate/business account is done privately (ie via an employer) and has nothing to do with the public/free MSN service. it is not an upgrade of any kind to MSN. It requires a private server running Microsoft Office Communication Server 2007 or Microsoft Live Communication Server 2008. This is analogous to the difference between a hotmail/Live account and an exchange account.

Just as a hotmail account has nothing to do with exchange, an MSN account has nothing to do with OCS or ICS. It's just that the Mac client contains both where as the Windows version requires the MSN/Live client for the public service and a separate install of a special client for OCS/LCS.

13. Crackateer macrumors newbie

display pictures

is it just me or has anyone had problems with getting their pictures onto the display picture panel ? for some reason it keeps saying my pictures aren't formatted, however they always worked on the older version of messenger. For now I resort to the older version, pretty much because the new one well ... isn't different, but if anyone can tell me what format they use for their pictures that would be much appreciated thanks !

14. Diaresi macrumors regular

Anyone you're using a webcam with you'll know (i hope :p ) pretty well. Just download and ask them to download Skype and that solves all problems :)

15. Nikki S macrumors newbie

hi had problems changing my display picture to any of msn's pre-made pics or to a photo. It corrected itself when i started a conversation with someone and then changed it. Had no problems since then.
    The only other thing is i cant see others display pics. The genius at apple told me it was an msn problem not an apple problem.

Hope this helps

16. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Yeah, I get around this problem by using Skype. My friend just loads Parallels and uses MSN from there.

17. Babooshka macrumors 6502

Babooshka

It's obv not an Apple problem, it's Microsoft software

18. kolax macrumors G3

Version 7 was meant to include A/V support for the personal client too. The MacBU came out with some crap saying they need to update and sort the Windows client before they can make the Mac one compatible.

I too load up Parallel's Desktop to use the iSight in MSN, but the webcam is zoomed in on newer Macs (because of the 1.3MP iSight) and there is no way to correct this.

But don't expect much...they barely get Office 2008 working properly, never mind something less complicated as A/V support.

19. Crackateer macrumors newbie

yes thanks a lot it helps tons , i thought it was my computer which really bogged me down cause i just bought it ! I'll try what you did, but i think i'll stick to the older version without the glitch .. what a let down for msn !

20. Diaresi macrumors regular

No it wasn't. The Windows client does need to be "sorted out" before they can add it to the personal client of Microsoft Messenger. The reason for this is because Microsoft are shifting from an older A/V protocol to a newer one. The MacBU decided not to implement the older one only to have to implement the newer one, so they're waiting for the WLM team to convert to the new protocol.

It was all posted on the MacBU blog ages ago :)

It's not really the MacBU's fault, more how Microsoft manages its cross-platform applications. Simply integrating the teams together and porting the Windows versions to the Mac would create much better results overall. Saying that you'd get people complaining they don't fit in with Mac OS X or other BS like that :rolleyes:

21. kolax macrumors G3

Yes, and I'm referring to before they posted that specific blog with updates about Messenger:Mac 7, when they originally announced Messenger:Mac 7 that was meant to include A/V.

That is why there was topics here flaming MS for releasing version 7, when they haven't even included anything new at all really, apart from bug fixes.

And yes, keyword "waiting". The WLM team still hasn't updated it all, so, after being announced a year ago, it could have been implemented until WLM was updated.

There isn't any excuse. Microsoft obviously are delaying supporting A/V on the Mac for as long as possible, otherwise they could have implemented it years ago.

22. stuff99 macrumors 6502

when is the next msn coming out?

they need to fix this stupid display pic problem/offline msging and webcam support

23. Nikki S macrumors newbie

I agree with the offline messaging. How come we can only send an email when they are offline?

Sucks.