Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EntryLevel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2008
Penang
I just downloadede Microsotft Messenger 7 for my macbook pro but I found out one problem that I don't see any Video Conversation in the MSN. Did anyone knows how it works to get the Video Conversation?

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
I just downloadede Microsotft Messenger 7 for my macbook pro but I found out one problem that I don't see any Video Conversation in the MSN. Did anyone knows how it works to get the Video Conversation?

Microsoft do not currently support audio or video chat in Messenger:mac.

Osarkon

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2006
Wales
Well technically they do, for the Business Accounts. But not for personal use. So yeah, to all extents and purposes as far as the home user is concerned, no.

Just thought i'd clarify anyway.

MisterEd

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2006
I believe they have announced that the next version will though... about 2 years too late!

Ed

EntryLevel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2008
Penang
Well technically they do, for the Business Accounts. But not for personal use. So yeah, to all extents and purposes as far as the home user is concerned, no.

Just thought i'd clarify anyway.

Based on my research, the video call will only work for Corporate Account or you need a Microsoft Communication Server 2008 to use the video call. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Am3822

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2006
Groningen, The Netherlands
This whole thing puzzles me and I would appreciate an explanation -- as far as I can tell (based on my own experience), the current version of messenger for windows supports both audio and video for *all users* (the quality is another matter). What's the reason, then, for the differentiation between regular and corporate users under OS X?

Osarkon

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2006
Wales
Based on my research, the video call will only work for Corporate Account or you need a Microsoft Communication Server 2008 to use the video call. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Corporate Account, Business account, same thing as far as I'm concerned.

Either way, it means we don't have the feature. :(

EntryLevel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2008
Penang
Ok guys, I just found out something. Let's check it out!

MSN cannot make web cam contact but I software can make web cam contact and that is aMSN.

If you guys have interest on web camming by using aMSN please check it out at here:-
http://www.amsn-project.net/download.php

Please let me know your opinions here.GOOD LUCK

Am3822

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2006
Groningen, The Netherlands
I used aMSN 0.96 (the current version is 0.97RC1) about a year or so ago, and I wasn't overly impressed as it was sluggish and tended to freeze on my MBP2.33.

There's an adium add-on called MeBeam which is supposed to add video abilities in some roundabout way, but I haven't had the chance to use it yet.

jc1350

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2008
For clarification - in MSN speak:

a corporate/business account is done privately (ie via an employer) and has nothing to do with the public/free MSN service. it is not an upgrade of any kind to MSN. It requires a private server running Microsoft Office Communication Server 2007 or Microsoft Live Communication Server 2008. This is analogous to the difference between a hotmail/Live account and an exchange account.

Just as a hotmail account has nothing to do with exchange, an MSN account has nothing to do with OCS or ICS. It's just that the Mac client contains both where as the Windows version requires the MSN/Live client for the public service and a separate install of a special client for OCS/LCS.

Crackateer

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2008
display pictures

is it just me or has anyone had problems with getting their pictures onto the display picture panel ? for some reason it keeps saying my pictures aren't formatted, however they always worked on the older version of messenger. For now I resort to the older version, pretty much because the new one well ... isn't different, but if anyone can tell me what format they use for their pictures that would be much appreciated thanks !

Diaresi

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2007
Anyone you're using a webcam with you'll know (i hope :p ) pretty well. Just download and ask them to download Skype and that solves all problems :)

Nikki S

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2008
NSW, Australia
is it just me or has anyone had problems with getting their pictures onto the display picture panel ? for some reason it keeps saying my pictures aren't formatted, however they always worked on the older version of messenger. For now I resort to the older version, pretty much because the new one well ... isn't different, but if anyone can tell me what format they use for their pictures that would be much appreciated thanks !

hi had problems changing my display picture to any of msn's pre-made pics or to a photo. It corrected itself when i started a conversation with someone and then changed it. Had no problems since then.
The only other thing is i cant see others display pics. The genius at apple told me it was an msn problem not an apple problem.

Hope this helps

Babooshka

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
hi had problems changing my display picture to any of msn's pre-made pics or to a photo. It corrected itself when i started a conversation with someone and then changed it. Had no problems since then.
The only other thing is i cant see others display pics. The genius at apple told me it was an msn problem not an apple problem.

Hope this helps

It's obv not an Apple problem, it's Microsoft software

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Version 7 was meant to include A/V support for the personal client too. The MacBU came out with some crap saying they need to update and sort the Windows client before they can make the Mac one compatible.

I too load up Parallel's Desktop to use the iSight in MSN, but the webcam is zoomed in on newer Macs (because of the 1.3MP iSight) and there is no way to correct this.

But don't expect much...they barely get Office 2008 working properly, never mind something less complicated as A/V support.

Crackateer

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2008

Hope this helps

yes thanks a lot it helps tons , i thought it was my computer which really bogged me down cause i just bought it ! I'll try what you did, but i think i'll stick to the older version without the glitch .. what a let down for msn !

Diaresi

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2007
Version 7 was meant to include A/V support for the personal client too. The MacBU came out with some crap saying they need to update and sort the Windows client before they can make the Mac one compatible.

No it wasn't. The Windows client does need to be "sorted out" before they can add it to the personal client of Microsoft Messenger. The reason for this is because Microsoft are shifting from an older A/V protocol to a newer one. The MacBU decided not to implement the older one only to have to implement the newer one, so they're waiting for the WLM team to convert to the new protocol.

It was all posted on the MacBU blog ages ago :)

It's not really the MacBU's fault, more how Microsoft manages its cross-platform applications. Simply integrating the teams together and porting the Windows versions to the Mac would create much better results overall. Saying that you'd get people complaining they don't fit in with Mac OS X or other BS like that :rolleyes:

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
No it wasn't. The Windows client does need to be "sorted out" before they can add it to the personal client of Microsoft Messenger. The reason for this is because Microsoft are shifting from an older A/V protocol to a newer one. The MacBU decided not to implement the older one only to have to implement the newer one, so they're waiting for the WLM team to convert to the new protocol.

It was all posted on the MacBU blog ages ago :)

Yes, and I'm referring to before they posted that specific blog with updates about Messenger:Mac 7, when they originally announced Messenger:Mac 7 that was meant to include A/V.

That is why there was topics here flaming MS for releasing version 7, when they haven't even included anything new at all really, apart from bug fixes.

And yes, keyword "waiting". The WLM team still hasn't updated it all, so, after being announced a year ago, it could have been implemented until WLM was updated.

There isn't any excuse. Microsoft obviously are delaying supporting A/V on the Mac for as long as possible, otherwise they could have implemented it years ago.

stuff99

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2007
when is the next msn coming out?

they need to fix this stupid display pic problem/offline msging and webcam support

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.